Thread: Outputting in Fractal Terrains? Tips needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

yep I'm exporting at a much higher resolution but fewer levels. I'm not at all sure I understand what this means. It looked to ME at first glance that the higher the levels, the more little grid components one has to stitch together. Which is a pain. But if I'm understanding this right, will that allow me a better image quality?

Your screen shot method = wow, laborious. Finding the matching edges of each segment would be unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Girltron View Post
    yep I'm exporting at a much higher resolution but fewer levels. I'm not at all sure I understand what this means. It looked to ME at first glance that the higher the levels, the more little grid components one has to stitch together. Which is a pain. But if I'm understanding this right, will that allow me a better image quality?
    That means your individual images will be physically larger, but there will be fewer of them to stitch together. Again, the exact image quality will depend on just how high a resolution you are using. I've found that anything above about 800 px tends to start degrading quickly while somewhere between 500 and 600 is usually still fairly good looking, but you will have to experiment a bit to see what suits your quality tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Girltron View Post
    Your screen shot method = wow, laborious. Finding the matching edges of each segment would be unpleasant.
    Yes, very much so. Unfortunately, Terragen imports specific sized images for rendering and I prefer not to have to resize them and lose details in relation to roughness of the landscape. What makes this even more difficult is that they have to be in greyscale which can be hard to see at times. Ahhh, the price I pay for using Terragen.

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 04-13-2009 at 09:56 AM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

OK thank you, I'll keep this in mind.

Most welcome. Hope all this helps you out.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges