Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: March 2015 Entry - Karsthaven

I don't know what the judges go by. I haven't entered that contest before.
    Someone else will hopefully add some input there.

If I remember right they suggest the text size be no smaller than 10pt. I think you get "marked down" if it is difficult to read.

The best thing to do is to look at the entries from the previous years. Not only are they interesting to read but they are all on the website. That should give you an idea of the sort of things people submit. You'll also notice that there is a HUGE variety of entries. My own previous entries were A Stolen Spring and Fungal Infection.

Oh also when I made my entries what I did was draw the map separately and then put it all together using InDesign. Scribus is a free alternative to InDesign.
    Last edited by Larb; 03-22-2015 at 05:57 PM.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Banned User

The website says below 8 points is pushing your luck. I've looked at lots of entries, but they are mostly losers. I want to know what characteristics make the winners into the winners

I've looked at winners from previous years, but they are all so different that it's really hard to pick out what makes them attractive. In fact, a lot of them are not even dungeons, just maps of some island or building, so it's really hard to understand what they are actually looking for.

I just thought some people who had entered in the past might have some good advice such as gameprinter posted in the other thread

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I'm not much of a gamer, but this is shaping up to be very cool! It's deliciously creepy in places.
    Thanks !! That's a new description of my maps

J.Edward: 2012 and 2013

chick: It's hard to say exactly. Apart from the technical stuff (keeping the font size readable, keeping the description and any "rules" system neutral) I'd say just something interesting that conveys some sort of "story" if possible. Your limestone sinkhole is interesting.

Banned User

Here is the rest of the text (mostly). I took J.Edward's advice and printed it, and it looked pretty small to my old eyes, so I've increased the font size and cut back on a little bit of the text descriptions to make it all fit.

I'm thinking I need some kind of vertical cross-section too, so I left some room for it. Trouble is, I'm not sure how best to do that with the various cave sections spread radially around the central pit. Suggestions and opinions welcome.

The rest seems to be an artistic problem of making the drawings look better, and since I suck at that, anything more will likely be a long time coming.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OPD2015D.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	71960

Banned User

Here is what I hope will be the final version (not much hope, I know )

I want to give special thanks to J.Edward for some awesome advice on how to shade the domepit. It came out pretty good by my standards of hopelessness at such things.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OPD2015F.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	72040

Hi chick, it's a wonderfully detailed description of the dungeon. I like the references to grimm's tales. My personal highlight are the flies. They are this kind of "damn!-why-did-we-kill-all-those-flies"-flies

Great entry - it was interesting to read. I also like the way you used colour to tie description to specific areas. It made it easier to follow.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast