Thread: More cities (City Designer 3)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks Mogul... are you Dutch too?

Anyway, I semi-finished my sixth map: Westerpont, in English literally Westferry. This city and surrounding villages are home to about 5.000 people. The settlement is located on the banks of a river - I still need to think of a good name - and owes its existence to a ferry.

The city has always had strong ties with the city of Miston to the north. When that city became more prosperous, so did Westerpont. Eventually it fell under the influence of the rulers in Miston. A small keep was built on the island and when trade picked up the ferries were turned into bridges that can be opened to let ships through. Miston is legendary for its large herds of cattle and it was a lot easier to drive the animals over bridges south into the Valley.

With the rise of Miston three wizards came in conflict with each other (operating from Miston, Concetron and Iffraon). A castle was built in Westerpont to guard the settlement and a few years later the heart of the city was walled.

Nowadays the city is under Alliance control and it's still quite prosperous because of trade from Miston, Groenwoud, Iffraon and Concetron.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	westerpont1.jpg 
Views:	1374 
Size:	277.9 KB 
ID:	6621  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 09-26-2008 at 05:34 AM.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Thanks Mogul... are you Dutch too?
    No, I'm not Dutch. But I spent about 20 years of my life in the Netherlands (Rotterdam and Amsterdam)... and I'm not that old ;-) By the way, you seem to be a very fast cartographer!

Quote Originally Posted by mogul76 View Post
    No, I'm not Dutch. But I spent about 20 years of my life in the Netherlands (Rotterdam and Amsterdam)... and I'm not that old ;-) By the way, you seem to be a very fast cartographer!
    Ah, I live near Rotterdam and work there
    Strange though... living most of your life in the Netherlands and not being Dutch

Because it's such a blast to make city maps with CD3 I have been spending about 4 hours each day mapping. Which is enough to do smaller maps like Noorderpoort or Westerpont.

Next up Ravenburcht... I think.

So, my seventh map turned out to be another small village. I wanted to experiment a bit with a white underground and snowy trees.

Venduras is a village of about four hundred people. It lies outside the Valley, which means its covered in snow most of the year. To the north lies a forest and some mountains. There's a small iron mine there that is exploited.

A lot of villagers are involved in the herding of reindeer. The animals are raised for meat, hides, milk and antlers. They are also used for transportation. The village gets few travelers, but there is small inn and a few times a year products are brought to The Valley to be sold. Or if the villagers are lucky some travelling merchants will visit them.

Venduras has no soldiers or militia, but is only occasionaly preyed upon by bandits as it is far from prosperous. There's an elected mayor, although elections are only open to certain male elders.

Name:	Venduras1.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	6632  

Also added a floorplan of the keep/fortified mansion in Verena made with Dungeon Designer 3:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?p=32561
    (I put the thread in another forum, as this one is intended for city maps).

For my eight map I picked Ravenburcht.

Ravenburcht (translated something like Raven's Keep) has grown a lot in the last years and is now a respectable city and home to a few thousand citizens. Most of the traffic going to the capital Concetron passes through this city and over its toll bridge. There's a fortified house near the bridge where the administration collects the money.

The city is dominated by a large castle on a cliff. It was once built to protect Concetron and is now garrisoned by Alliance soldiers. There used to be a large statue of the wizard Téodan on the cliff - the first thing travelers would notice when passing over the bridge - but it was torn down after the fall of the hated wizard.

During the revolution there was a battle near this city and the leader of the revolution was almost killed. A bodyguard was formed to protect him, basing its name on the nearby keep: the Silver Ravens. The Alliance monarch is still protected by these highly skilled swordfighters, dressed in black and a silver raven pinned to their chest.

Name:	ravenburcht1.jpg 
Views:	2285 
Size:	574.4 KB 
ID:	6653  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 09-25-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Your cities are fantastic Gandwarf. We are very much in need of city designers at the CWBP. If you havn't had a look at the project threads please do so. Also if you have any city designs hanging around we would love to give them a home. Keep up the great work.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Guild Apprentice
    Earth, North American Continent, Southeast USA
    Blog Entries

that looks cool

i love your style -- are you willing to modify any of your maps?

i have a request placed in the map request area but it was suggested that i look at some of the completed maps -- after doing so i found your maps and eventually your link to your completed maps --- i really do like your style

thanks

sindi

kliberal at hotmail.com

Kool Maps...

Awesome work!

Éli,