Thread: WIP: unnamed Earh-like planet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Good day to all.

Today I haven't been able to do much.

I made the island like shape from the North Pole plate narrower so it would look fine in Orthographic projection

Then I re-touched a bit the plates and tried to give each plate boundary a coherent general direction. I have only 11 plates and most of them are quite big, and of course their configuration is quite simplified and planned to suit my needs, when it should be the other way around if I wanted them to look and behave more naturally. I almost question if I should have bothered at all, but well, I do think it'll be useful, simplified as it is.

That said, here's my re-do of the tectonics. I realize most of the movements are either N-S or E-W, which is a bit boring and robotic, but well. Actually that describes me quite well, funny enough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02. Tectonics (22-05-14).jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	64320

Name:	02. Tectonics NP.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	64321

Name:	02. Tectonics SP.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	64322

Any glaring errors or contradictions in the direction of the plates in each boundary? I'm not sure I got some boundaries directions right, I get confused when said boundaries are too irregular in shape and/or meet with more than one plate's boundary. So my main issue, I think, are the side movements, or transformation boundaries.

I was going to try and check them in G Projector to see if I could understand better what those boundaries' directions would be, but G Projector broke down or something about "JVM could not be started" crap.

So how bad is it?

Pixie, I'm not sure either I've managed to convey your suggestion for area nº3. I moved back into land nº1 the original boundary that was on top of the islands, and created the new one just to the right side of said islands. Did I even get close to what it should look like?

Don't worry, I feel a bit more optimistic today. And anyway, once I'm done with the basic tectonics I'll move to work on the terrain again, so I'm getting there.
    Last edited by groovey; 05-22-2014 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by groovey View Post
    Pixie, I'm not sure either I've managed to convey your suggestion for area nº3. I moved back into land nº1 the original boundary that was on top of the islands, and created the new one just to the right side of said islands. Did I even get close to what it should look like?
    You did. Exactly what I meant.
    Now, that sort of boundary created a problem for your movement with plate 7 and the boundary with plate 2. However, we can imagine the right boundaries for those two huge plates and their movements would only affect areas that are submerged. I mean, some stuff is clearly wrong somewhere else now (that's the headache with con-tectonics) but nothing that would change mountains placement.

As for the direction of the plates... yep, too robotic

As for your second "advancement".. I think the mountains technique you are using is better suited for smaller scale maps. However, if you manage to get it looking good at this scale, please share the details.