Thread: The "DarkConduit" Galaxy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

I agree with Jtougas, the map looks visually very good. I also like the way that the individual systems, planets, and sectors are displayed. Any lingering criticisms I have for the map are explained away by the game design that you are conforming to, and thus should not count against you. =) Heh.

As far as game design goes, the system they seem to have cooked up sounds like it should work pretty well. It's not terribly realistic, as you won't have only one star to a hex at the scale you are looking at in the real galaxy, but when dealing with a game you really have to abstract some things or you'll go crazy trying to be realistic, and the fun factor will suffer for it.

So, on the whole, you have done an excellent job. Good work!
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wormspeaker View Post
    IAs far as game design goes, the system they seem to have cooked up sounds like it should work pretty well. It's not terribly realistic, as you won't have only one star to a hex at the scale you are looking at in the real galaxy, but when dealing with a game you really have to abstract some things or you'll go crazy trying to be realistic, and the fun factor will suffer for it.
    Luckily for me, I am the game's designer. ;P Thanks very much for your comments, Wormspeaker! You've been a big help.
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Well, as I realised when posting this - a map of Keel, featured on an insert in this very map - I have failed to keep the topic updated! I do apologise, and I hope no-one minds this double crime of necromancy and attention-seeking across two threads.

I basically finished all I could of this map some months back, and generated a new map in order to divide the galaxy into regions of a sort. The regions don't have any impact on the gameplay, and are really intended as a navigational aid, but as with my map of Keel, it's to help bulk out the lore a bit. That map - Regions of the Known Galaxy - can be viewed here, on my artblog.

As for the map I actually started here: I finished its other half, including the inset feature maps. All that's left is the cartouche, which I hope to smarten up with factional emblems, a title in the style of our undesigned project logo, and so on. Because that is the remit of our artist, I have left this part alone. I hope to finish the map when he's finished designing its inhabitants.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Known Galaxy (20110504).jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	732.6 KB 
ID:	40174
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)