Thread: City Mapping Technique

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think you need to place a coal power plant, some hospitals, and some police and fire stations. =P

But on a serious note. You could try a technique similar to that used on this map perhaps. Your buildings would all be on one layer with a pattern overlay. You could use subtle colouring on the city blocks to show their function.

On that one important buildings are marked in darker squares. I once saw someone on here make a map not unlike this one, but then drew the actual important buildings in an isometric style, but not any of the regular buildings.

As for city layout I think you'll be best off deciding on what medieval culture you're trying to emulate and then doing a search for some city maps of the period for that country.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I think you need to place a coal power plant, some hospitals, and some police and fire stations. =P

But on a serious note. You could try a technique similar to that used on this map perhaps. Your buildings would all be on one layer with a pattern overlay. You could use subtle colouring on the city blocks to show their function.

On that one important buildings are marked in darker squares. I once saw someone on here make a map not unlike this one, but then drew the actual important buildings in an isometric style, but not any of the regular buildings.

As for city layout I think you'll be best off deciding on what medieval culture you're trying to emulate and then doing a search for some city maps of the period for that country.
    Lol nice Sim City reference ;p...

And thanks for the help, I think I just might try making the map like that image you sent me. Might be enough of a time saver.

Oh and, ROTICULATING SPLINE!