Thread: How Do I Make Close Up Maps From An Area Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

One way to go about it is to go the other way around - make the detailed maps first, then the overview map (your last suggestion). Unfortunately, I know of no easy way to expand a map and keep that level of detail, unless it's a vector map, in which case it's trivial (vectors being resolution-independent).

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected razcor's Avatar

If I understand the problem, what I would do, using photshop is:

- select the shape of, for example, the island you wish to enlarge;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	41535

- select it and copy it to a new layer;

- use free transform (CTRL - T), say to 500% on both axis, this enlarge your isle;

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	41537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	41537

- select the shape, fill in white, select inverse fill in black

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	41536

- create a new layer, filter -> clouds -> render clouds (make sure foreground color is black and background is white hitting D);

- create new fill layer - threshold, adjust until you have something like this (on the cloud filtered layer adjust the opacity too see the shape of the island);

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	41538

- on the cloud filtered layer paint in black or white whith a soft, low opacity;

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	41539

- on the cloud filtered layer copy merged and then paste on another layer (or another file)

hope that answers your question...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Langy View Post
    One way to go about it is to go the other way around - make the detailed maps first, then the overview map (your last suggestion). Unfortunately, I know of no easy way to expand a map and keep that level of detail, unless it's a vector map, in which case it's trivial (vectors being resolution-independent).
    Vector graphics can't make detail appear by magic. A zoomed in vector map isn't going to display any detail that wasn't in the original. It's just that it won't have any aliasing from resampling as you would when scaling a raster image. Inkscape does have a handy tool called "fractalize" that can add some fractal noise to a path though.