Thread: Please Critique My Rough Draft (First Timer)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

i suggest you have a look at this thread: how-get-your-rivers-right-place

it seems that you don't have any mountains yet. start with the mountains (of course after you've set the landmass), they determine pretty much form rivers to climate!

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Llannagh View Post
    I would suggest that you work on the coastline first. At the moment it looks unnaturally smooth and follows the border of your sheet too much. I did the same thing with my first map, too. You should reduce the landmass and give it a more natural shape, epecially if the scale is that big.

Once the coastline has a natural flow to it, it's easier to work out the mountains, since it gives you a better idea of how the tectonics might work. From there you can work on the rivers.

I always like to have a look at Google Earth to get a grip on certain landmass-shapes or terrain features.
    Actually, that's exactly what I did. Even though this part is only a corner of the continent, I agree it does look rather rectangular. However, once you zoom out to this scale, coasts become a lot smoother. The quality is a bit too **** to tell, but the coast actually has a lot of micro variations. With that said, after looking at it from your view, I definitely will add some more macro variations to the coast as well (specifically on the southern coast).

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by leen View Post
    i suggest you have a look at this thread: how-get-your-rivers-right-place

it seems that you don't have any mountains yet. start with the mountains (of course after you've set the landmass), they determine pretty much form rivers to climate!

cheers!
    I just had a look at the link and that's almost exactly what I did. I made a post before I started drawing the map and someone shared a link very similar to that one. I knew I shouldn't have uploaded such a low quality photo... I actually have 6 mountain ranges. Regardless, that link you shared had a few things the other didn't so it gave me a few things to think about (specifically wells/springs and water tables). I'm fairly confident my rivers are accurate enough at this point, but I will almost certainly make a few more changes before I start laying down the region borders and populations.

Thanks for your help!