Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
I'm not sure if I believe these maps are justified right or left based on where we live. I'm sure there are times when the writer builds it in his mind based on bits of geography he or she was impressed by and this obviously would have to be shown in the art. However, I wonder how much is based on the handedness of the artist?

If I do a large piece of art, we are talking more than a regular page of paper (and I typically work in Pencil) I prefer to NOT put my hand on anything I have already drawn out. It smudges if I'm not careful. This would mean an ocean on the left side moves everything closer to the right and thus easier to work on. This is due to my being right handed. If I was left handed I'm sure the opposite would be true. Obviously there are ways around this and with digital art it makes little difference. I would like to see a chart that showed the Artists left/right handedness compared to where those oceans are.

Usually, the simplest answer is correct. Thus, I give you Art skewed by handedness That's my theory, hehe.
Ironically, some years back (okay, maybe a couple decades back) I remember reading a study similar to the one you're suggesting. In this instance, it looked at both artists and authors and the results seemed to suggest that the frequency of left to right handedness among authors and artists was significantly more balanced than it is among the population in general. The purpose of the study, if I remember correctly, had something to do with the creative side versus the logical side of the brain and whether or not those who were left handed (thus having more cognitive activity on the right/creative side of their brain) were more likely to express their creativity as artists and/or authors than those who were right handed.

In terms of the article, however, another thought occurred to me. Not only does it seem that most maps are "left" aligned and regional, but, at least to me, most seem to focus on the northern hemisphere as well.

Just my two and a half cents.

GW