Thread: Left Justified Fantasy Map Trope

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm not sure there's really enough there to justify calling this a trope. After all, there are a limited number of places to put your ocean if you're dealing with a single-ocean regional map.

Lately, TVTropes has been less about identifying "tropes" and more about calling attention to tenuous similarities in a few novels/movies/video games. This is one example of a fairly useless entry, in my opinion.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I'm not sure there's really enough there to justify calling this a trope. After all, there are a limited number of places to put your ocean if you're dealing with a single-ocean regional map.
    Personally, i haven't noticed an over-abundance of left-justified worlds.

I have noticed an over-abundance of fantasy-worlds that have a continental configuration that roughly matches Europe/Asia/Africa, both in geography and culture. This is IMHO a much more notable "coincidence".

For myself, I often place the sea in the west as a concious decision (well, as far as sword-and-sorcery fantasy is concerned). I do this because, as a whole, it is easier to familiarize one's self in a setting that is oriented like Europe, which the fantasy theme usually emulates. From an artistic point of view, it is easier for the viewer to picture knights in shining armor fighting dragons and rescuing maidens when the map is oriented in a familiar fashion, particularly if the map is an decorative representation without many labels. Maps that orient themselves with the sea to the east tend to conjure up visions of dense cities crowded with Victorian buildings, new-world harbors choked with ships and skies thick with the smog of industrial steam engines. I've always noticed that, at least to me, the map instinctively creates a feeling between the "old" and the "new" by how it is oriented.

This is not to say that I believe that maps should be done in a certain way. The CG is full of examples of deviations from the "earth theme"; even my own fantasy world stretches off to the west with the sea in the east. The only orientation that I find difficult to deviate from is that it is COLD in the north and WARM in the south. I've experimented with placing a fantasy setting in the southern hemisphere and, being a child of the north and having never been south of the equator, it seemed too "different" to maintain the desired "feel" of the setting.
    Check out my works and download free samples at https://www.patreon.com/ierdesign

"Good teachers love inquisitive students."
    "Great societies demand quality conversation."
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere."