Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World of Milosha

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Default World of Milosha 05-07-10

Here is my latest version. I added some names of some of the areas. I messed around with the rivers but can't seem to find a look that I like. I tried the tool that RobA made to redo my rivers but can't get it to give them the tapered look. They just end up having the same width from start to finish. The look they have now is horrible tried a inverted pillow emboss but ran out of time this morning, gonna try to mess with it tonight after work.
    As someone who just started working again after almost five years my hat is off you folks with full time jobs that still produce awesome maps.
    Still needs a lot of work but time isn't something I really have right now.

Any C&C is welcomed, God knows parts of my map can use it.

Thanks
    Allan

PS: I know I need to change the compass as well, it's on my to do list. LOL, Never mind I guess I did change it and not even notice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milosha 05-07-10-Icon.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	856.8 KB 
ID:	24550  
    Last edited by A R Frost; 05-08-2010 at 01:17 PM.
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hi A.R. Regarding the tapered stroke path, I know this is going to sound like a silly question, but did you adjust the "Stroke End Width" to a smaller size than the "Stroke Start Width" (e.g. 1-2 pixels)? If so, then I'm not sure what the problem is. Otherwise your map is looking good.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Let me see if I can remember. I started with a stroke width of 5.0 and ended with a stroke width of 1.0. For example if you can find the Village of Oldroot, (It's just north of the Ethereal Coast). When I redrew that river that is just to the west of Oldroot using the 03 circle pencil and adjusted the paths so the new river would follow the route of the old and then applied the Tapered Stroke Path from the edit menu I was getting a river that was all the same width, from the Kunguzun Mountains down to the Ethereal Coast.

I have to redrawn all my rivers and lake again(no biggie) because I merged them all together and applied a G Blur to them. So I can't get them back to a normal straight line. I tried to erase parts like Ramah suggested but I can't do it that way with my damn hand shake. I end up erasing way to much of the line.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

OK, I think I know what the problem is now. you said that you drew the rivers in with the "Pencil" tool. Unless I'm mistaken here, you need to draw the river outlines using the "Paths" tool. This means that you will have several individual river paths (for each river, or segment of a river that you want to taper at a different width). You then apply the tapered stroke path to each of these paths (making sure that your rivers layer is selected). Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Ok I got it to work on one river. The one besides Oldroot. But every time I try to draw in another river with the path tool and apply the taper, it recreates the first river. Even tried a new layer for the second river. Do I need to do some think to "lock" the path before I start another river. Let me see if I can find RobA's thread.
    And Thanks Arsheesh!!!! Huge help there...

Tried it again on a new layer. It just continues to redo the path of the first river on the new layer. Any suggestions?

You said you tried creating a new "layer", but did you try creating a new "path"? There will be a new path icon at the bottom left of the paths dialogue window. I found that I not only had to create a new path for each additional river, but also for each river segment that branched away from the main river.

Wip

Thanks Arsheesh, you really helped me get it done correctly. May not be perfect but it looks a lot better. Now it's time to figure out how to make one of those killer compass that has the lines radiating from the center covering the whole map.

Again any C&C is always welcome...

Allan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milosha 05-07-10-2Icon.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	24571  
    Last edited by A R Frost; 05-08-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Glad to help, and it does look better than before (though I think they might be tapered just a bit more e.g. the end taper could be even smaller). As for the compass, I'd like to know how to do those myself; haven't gotten around to asking others yet since I haven't done a map with a large view of the sea. If you figure it out, I'd be curious to know how you did it.

Guild Novice

I for one, am impressed by 2 things. 1) The overall result especially for a first timer, I know my first map was far from looking this good and 2) Your impressive tenacity in not only asking precise questions but also in continually going back to your work in order to make it better inch by inch, step by step. This is very inspiring, have some rep.

Kudos

GC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast