Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deldesheim (WIP)

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hello Chris! Overall this is looking quite nice so far. Hm, if those forests were created the way that I think they were, I'm not sure what to do to make them blend in with the terrain better. I've tried a few techniques to try and soften the edges, but haven't landed on a technique that I am satisfied with yet. However I have made some other suggestions in my second post "here" regarding the color and shading of these forests that you might be interested in.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    They were. :-) Great tutorial, by the way. I'll play around with it - I was using the pdf and hadn't checked back with that thread recently.

Guild Novice

Default Updates

OK, here is with the adjustments from arsheesh.

Deldesheim2 is the most recent image. The other is the one earlier in the thread's first page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deldesheim2..jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	23921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deldesheim..jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	23922  
    Last edited by Bayonet_Chris; 04-18-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Added second image for comparison

I definitely like the more vibrant colors of Deldesheim2 more than the original, and the toned down drop shadow looks more natural. Nicely done.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah, I like that new version too. The forests look much more 'natural'.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Default Google Spy Sat :-)

So, first things first... your map is looking better, the trees are starting to be more integrated into the land. I just have one more suggestion for the trees. Add some other colors like orange and light green. Something like this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TreeColor.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	23932

I commandeered a Google spy satellite and reconfigured it to take a quick snapshot of your map... (Thanks for letting me post it)

I used my Overworld Map Project .psd file and was doing this to test the project on a land form with water around it... I will bet that the local fishermen did not know about the trenches just off the coast

Name:	Deldesheim1a..jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	23933

-RPGMapMaker
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Guild Novice

Default Very cool!

I'll have to play around with the colors a bit. That googlespy view is pretty neat. I like the shelves and trenches!
    Last edited by Bayonet_Chris; 04-19-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Missed a vital word. :-)

Yo Chris.... I like the latest over all... Let me know if you want to ask any questions on GIMP, you can email or call me if you need to.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I realy like the forests in deldsheim2. One way that I add texture is a double bump layer, the second having an azumith(?) of plus/minus 30 degrees.

Guild Novice

Default Final (I hope)

OK, I added some orange to the forests, got the towns and villages in there, added some labels, a compass rose, and a map scale. It was pretty gratifying to get through this. I'm open to suggestions, but I'm pretty happy at where it is. Thanks for your help guys.

Name:	Deldesheim_Final&#46.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	23948

All and all I'd say this is an excellent first map. Hope you decide to continue to refine your new-found cartography skills here at the guild. Repped.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast