Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mechanar

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

This is a great looking map, even at this stage! I love the line work around the map symbols. looking forward to seeing the finished map. I like the fact that the rivers are cut out of the land rather than painted on. Reped!
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here - I actually love the grunge and creases just the way they are now.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Bloody heck, this is gorgeous. And nice use of texture, in my opinion
    Every time I look at your maps I get inspired, and this is no exception. I **especially** love the symbols!

[edit]
    I went back to look it over again, and let it simmer for a bit, then looked at it again while i take breaks from my own work (heh) and I had a bit of a suggestion, if you could work over the title font so the lines were faded, or a bit more hand drawn looking like the lines on the symbols, they might fit just a tad closer..
    Not really a mappy suggestion, more of an artsy thing, but it's all I could come up
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 04-26-2010 at 11:14 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments guys.

CM: I'll try your suggestion when I get further along but for now the title is simply placed there and I'm not even sure I'll stick with the font. I downloaded it from Dafont.com (SketchesbyDeurer) and I cannot tell if it is free to use for commercial purposes or not. It says "Free for personal use" but at the top it says "The artist no longer requires paying." So I'm not sure if this means that he no longer requires paying for a licence to use it commercially or whether he used to require payment even for personal use?
    Anyway, there's another similar font called "Codex" that I could use but I'm not sure I like it as much.

Whatever...

Here's a small update. Not done a lot on it really. I've darkened the mountains a little (and experimented with a few highlights in places). I've added two rather large impact craters and what will become a volcano. I've also adjusted most of the icons: changed their places, edited some and changed what was originally a spyglass into an eye.
    I've also shrunk the other labels down to something closer to what they will be when it is finished.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empyrean 6.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	24254

Oh, and I forgot I had left the dashed line on. That is something of a placeholder at the moment so feel free to ignore it.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Lovely map, particularly those craters. The mountains are just beautiful, as well. Personally, the water shading (I suppose its water shading) over on the right side of the map isn't as blended into the background as it is on the left side, and the letters of MECHANAR are a tiny bit too far apart, but honestly that's all opinion. I just adore this style - I'll have to give it a try sometime soon ^.^

- alizarine

Blog Entries

After too much time away suffering from a severe bout of doubt/lack of motivation/self-induced stress, I'm back on this map and firing on all cylinders so it's finally time for a few update images.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mechanol1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	934.7 KB 
ID:	27660

The full image is posted at 25% size. The snapshot is 100%. Most of the markers and all of the labels are placeholders so feel free to disregard them.

This map is a commission for Empyrean Games so it's copyright of them and the usual CC licence doesn't apply.

(P.s. I couldn't attach the snapshot as an in-line image as it wanted to post it full size and not as a thumbnail. Weird.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mechanol-snapshot.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	27661  
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm interested in what the crab is for, some sort of national icon thing like the British bulldog or American eagle?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

This is really lovely. I like the sketchy lines around teh crab, and the half hidden aqueduct. Very very nice indeed. Good stuff.

That is looking great.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast