In my (and Naryt's) experience, VTT play is quite different from tabletop play, boasting many advantages. I nowadays prefer it over face-to-face play because VTT is a literary experience--it's very much like collectively writing a novel. Because I love reading and writing but am not much of an actor, being able to write my world with others is so much more satisfying. Of course, there are downsides (time lag being #1, lack of persoanl contact being #2), but the trade-off is well worth it to me.

This also brings that new WOTC software into the picture: they are trying very hard to create a videogame atmosphere for the rpg world. Bully for them, but I'll still pass. That sort of flash and razzle-dazzle does nothing for me. I'm in it for the story, the words, not the accoutraments. While I applaud WOTC for pushing the innovation envelope, I think they go over the top on everything and are nowadays basically the epitome of a money hungry corporation. TSR did the same thing, but were less savvy. (BTW, no rip on D&D or its fans intended: it's a fine game. I just dislike the constant "Feed me" scream of the corporate monster; I feel it whenever I see or touch their products.)

That being said, I think there is some room for improvement in all VTTs. For example, the ability to create & "fly through" 3D terrains would be a sweet addition to both live and VTT players' games!

Thanks for posting the video. Very interesting.