Thread: Itinerarium!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is similar to what the AAA (or Your Local Automobile Association) used to distribute as a "TripTik" (they still use the same name today, but for something different). Essentially, they were strip maps of a given route (say, from New York to Miami), about six inches wide and as tall as needed for your route (in an accordion fold, if I remember correctly, so you could fold them into a series of single panels as you progressed). The starting point was at one end of the map, the destination at the other (you could use the same map for travelling either way). The "map" section was an actual chunk of the AAA map along the route (I never used one from a route that wasn't mostly straight, so I don't know how they handled sharp bends), and alongside it was a list of the towns you'd pass along whatever highway you used, along with their accumulated driving time and distance from either end, so you could plan where to stop for the night.

Another similar thing is a river map; these are used to aid navigation on rivers, but they're not oriented; the river is drawn as a mostly-straight line (big curves are flattened out) with depth and port information on it; compasses are drawn periodically to show what direction the river is going at the given point.
    Last edited by gilgamec; 04-22-2010 at 12:18 PM.