Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WIP-Thraena

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by alizarine View Post
    ...You might want to try G.Projector...

- Alizarine
    Thank you so much-I've been looking for something that would do EXACTLY what this does for a long time now. Incredibly useful as I technically could do it by hand, but have not the stomach for such calculations, nor indeed the implementation.

EDIT: Oh, and as for the PS-GIMP changeover, I did it myself four or five years ago. I used to be a page editor on my high school newspaper and we used adobe products there, so I was used to PS (and InDesign, mostly). When I graduated I had to transition to GIMP because I'm a poor college student, and the transition was remarkably smooth. I won't say that I like the GIMP any better than PS, but I've certainly become very comfy with it. I've actually used GIMP to touch up some pretty pictures I've taken on big research telescopes after my science observing is over, and it plays nicely with .fits files (special astronomy image format), so I was extremely pleased with that bit of extra functionality. Really what I'm trying to say is that there's no reason to be scared of it. Also, it's free, so that's good.
    Last edited by plamadude30k; 05-06-2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: needed to add stuff, didn't want to double-post

it just keeps getting better.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I like the parchment look you've got going on here, looks really good so far.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking really good, and like your writing. I feel however that the elements, looking beautiful one by one - don't fit together - the style of the coastlines are rather heavy in comparison to your mountains and woods..
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I agree with tilt about the coastlines being a bit overwhelming; they also appear sharper than the other elements. Even the lettering on the compass appears less sharp than the coastlines. You could either try lightening or blurring the coastlines slightly (or both); you could also try removing one of the outer lines? Maybe having only 1 line around the coastline, or 1 darker and 1 much lighter line would fit a bit better. This is looking very good other than the coastline, however, especially the shape of the land and the overall imagery. The parchment background, the text in the upper right, the compass and the border all fit very well and the map is coming along great.

- Alizarine
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

You're right about the lettering, and I have no idea why it's blurry, it's really strange. I'll see what effect removing the lines around the coast might have, I appreciate the suggestion. On the other hand, if I keep the coastlines like they are now, how would you recommend making the other elements more consistent with that heavy coastline?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123