Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WIP-Thraena

I like the parchment look you've got going on here, looks really good so far.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Member

I like how you captured the time period from looking at your reference links. The unfinished land looks good as not to mislead sailors as the 1565 map does! Skin tatoo maps, that would be a sight to see. But I see what Jaxilon meant. Either way looks really rustic. I like that. Oh ya, Im from Arizona too. Lets see how many people from Arizona we can get on this thread. Nice work. Looking forward to more.

Tom

Default regional section

The semester is over and I've finally got my internet back, so I wanted to post this regional map of a small bit of the larger map seen elsewhere in this thread. I tried to incorporate some of the suggestions I saw here earlier, so I hope you approve.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hyla_old.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1,021.4 KB 
ID:	25155

I'm not entirely happy with several elements, including the text so far (which is meant to be decorative text, as opposed to the actual label text I'll have later), the compass, and the forests. Opinions on these elements would be especially helpful, but as always any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking really good, and like your writing. I feel however that the elements, looking beautiful one by one - don't fit together - the style of the coastlines are rather heavy in comparison to your mountains and woods..
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I agree with tilt about the coastlines being a bit overwhelming; they also appear sharper than the other elements. Even the lettering on the compass appears less sharp than the coastlines. You could either try lightening or blurring the coastlines slightly (or both); you could also try removing one of the outer lines? Maybe having only 1 line around the coastline, or 1 darker and 1 much lighter line would fit a bit better. This is looking very good other than the coastline, however, especially the shape of the land and the overall imagery. The parchment background, the text in the upper right, the compass and the border all fit very well and the map is coming along great.

- Alizarine
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

You're right about the lettering, and I have no idea why it's blurry, it's really strange. I'll see what effect removing the lines around the coast might have, I appreciate the suggestion. On the other hand, if I keep the coastlines like they are now, how would you recommend making the other elements more consistent with that heavy coastline?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123