Thread: Help! (For national borders, longitude and latitude, and general details)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

you don't need to use the magnet lasso - your land is white and the area around is transparent right? Magnetic lasso is for extracting things that are already merged with other layers, for example cutting a land shape out of an existing map that's not on separate layers. With the empty areas already around the coastline you do't need it.

If that's confusing, maybe try this: Control-Click the layer and see what happens. It should automatically select your entire land. Try setting your freehand lasso tool to remove selection (click the boxes up top until your cursor shows the minus sign attached to it) and then draw around the stuff you don't want as part of your first country.. that should deselect everything you don't want. Then use "new layer via cut" and proceed with layers.

By "Cutting" the selection to it's own layer, you leave everything else, which will line up perfectly with the other borders.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...7&d=1248812789 sows a good example of what i did using the process I initially described - remember, freehand, not magnetic

[edit] Even better: try following this: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ll=1#post42424 - That's the tutorial i was using at the time, and has rather detailed instructions. I was using PS7 at the time I made the above map, so this should work for you just fine. Follow Step 8.
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 04-27-2010 at 03:46 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."