Thread: Help! (For national borders, longitude and latitude, and general details)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

On a full world map (Small Scale), you need to be using a Mercator projection for a compass rose to be appropriate, and a scale bar will only be appropriate for an equidistant projection, in which case it will still only be appropriate for specific measurements (Through a certain point or along a certain axis)

The example map with the tutorial is in Plate Carrée projection. Direction is not preserved, and distance is only preserved along the vertical axis. The compasses and Rumb lines are inappropriate, though a simple north arrow would not be, and although you could arguably use a scale bar for measuring distances north-south, it would be misleading unless you added a note to indicate that restriction.

For questions 2,3,4 I find Illustrator to be much better suited to the creation of each item (compasses, lines of l&l, scales) which I then import into ps and distort/modify further.

I believe inkscape is the opensource (?) approximation of Illustrator, but could be mistaken.

I believe that you can setup guides in PS to which you can snap lines/objects, but it would take a fair while to do for a full grid etc.