Thread: Very Large Maps, is it a problem?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There's a stickied discussion in the General Forums on the difference between DPI and PPI, its worth a look, based on some of the discussion here. But to answer your question, it really depends on what software you are using. Sounds like Photoshop or GIMP, both with lots of layers and pixel area are problematically slow. That's why I use a vector app with robust image handling capability, Xara Xtreme, and that I create most of my maps with the intention of printing - as I run Gamer Printshop and specialize in printing large format maps. If you're using an image editor and using lots of layers, performance will go down, its how the application manages memory.

Good luck in your issue, and welcome to the Guild.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I am designing a campaign world that I intend to be very large. The two things I am finding I need to do is tiling and different scales. The large scale maps give overviews and keep the tiles in alignment. I am using Gimp for my mapping. I am learning as I go how to transfer the different elements between maps so I can change the scale of elements such as roads, mountains and rivers.
    I imagine it as taking a page from the google earth playbook letting me scale up to continents and down to a village and both will hold consistency.