Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Atreysa Maps

I know it's been a week and a half since my last update, but finals week is not just a week long (_ _) It also took me a while to name all the capitals and major cities ^.^; But here's an almost final update for the political map of the continent. I went through 4 political maps to get the countries right where I wanted them - I might fix them up and post them here over the next week, and I'll also be labeling the geographic map for upload.

- Alizarine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sutiherin_political_final_01.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	25050
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

Guild Journeyer

If i understand correctly the big green round tribal region is forest or jungle surrounded mostly by mountains around the edges, right? And those rivers are flowing towards the center?

Then there's no (non magical) way for those rivers to just disappear. If elevation prevents them from flowing out to the ocean, then you would get a significant lake or multiple lakes at the lowest point, or at least a huge swamp. Forests require plenty of rain (unless they are on a river), and all that rain has to go somewhere.

The size of the dots on your latest dotted border are over-dominant. Your previous map had it a lot better.

Great maps!! ^^

I especially like the western continent for some reason. The shape, perhaps.

Also, interesting languege you've got there.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwbjerk View Post
    Then there's no (non magical) way for those rivers to just disappear.
    The rivers could easily have gone underground. Considering the whole area seems like a meteorite impact zone, who knows what fractures may have occurred.

I agree with the size of the dots though. they could do with being smaller.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
    The rivers could easily have gone underground. Considering the whole area seems like a meteorite impact zone, who knows what fractures may have occurred.
    Yeah, then what?
    We have a large well-watered area probably bigger than the Amazon Basin, and all the run-off water goes into caves year after year and never fills up? Doesn't sound plausible to me.

If somebody wants to do something fantastical on their map, i have no complaints. Somebody who might be accidentally doing something fanatic probably wants to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbjerk View Post
    Yeah, then what?
    We have a large well-watered area probably bigger than the Amazon Basin, and all the run-off water goes into caves year after year and never fills up? Doesn't sound plausible to me.

If somebody wants to do something fantastical on their map, i have no complaints. Somebody who might be accidentally doing something fanatic probably wants to know.
    I agree - the rivers to nowhere bug me, too, from a realism standpoint. But, depending on the setting, you could have a giant karst region and deep in the depths below the earth, the underground rivers feed into some kind of magical portal to somewhere: a largely benign fae realm or somewhere more terrifying...

I'm actually really glad homework has kept me out of the river discussion, 'cause I had some time to give it some thought ^.^ Excellent points all around, and actually ... everybody's kinda right (except for the underground portal part). I really do need to reduce the size of those dots (they look "okay" in thumbnail size, not so much at full size - sorry 'bout that). Anyway, @jwbjerk, the rivers were bothering me, but I didn't know what to do with them so I just left them for the time being ... then forgot about them >.< I think I like the idea of a rather large swamp with some lakes here and there; and yes Rythal, it is a meteorite impact zone - good catch, and yeah - there are supposed to be some crevasses here and there that water does pour into, and yup - there are some underground lakes. Man ... I was so focused on the whole "political zones" and LABELING (that was a pain) that I totally forgot about the geographic stuff. Thanks for all the help with that, guys - I'll see if I can get a fixed version up in the next day or so.

- Alizarine
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

Map update: added a marsh area to explain where all the water in the rainforest crater-basin goes, as well as fissures from the impact. Also fixed the size and color of the dots for the tribe areas, and updated the key both visually and with geographic features (and some little tid-bit pictures that have no meaning for the map except to look nice; I might remove them later).

I am thinking of naming and/or dating the ruins (very much in doubt); I am more strongly in favor of just indicating which locations were destroyed during a war vs. those that were abandoned for some other reason. I'm also debating whether or not to include large farmland areas; not sure if the scale is right for that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sutiherin_update02.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	25238

- Alizarine
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123