Thread: One Conlang for All Maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think I recognize the Language Construction Kit format when I see it...

Trajan is now used only for secret communication between the Trajev and to
    record new information...
    If this is true, then the language would only be used in maps as part of the collection of information. So the map would probably never find its way to the general public.

*LANGUAGE FEEDBACK*

Note that consonants cannot follow one another and, with the exception of 'tr', consonant clusters cannot appear at the beginning...
    It may just be me, but this seems like a contradiction. If consonants cannot follow one another, then consonant clusters cannot exist.

Also, a lot of your "pronouns" would probably be classed as demonstratives or determiners.

The only other problem I noticed in your description is the alphabet. It looks cool, but would be a nightmare to read/write. The symbols, like those for A and E, are way too similar. A single tiny line left out would leave them looking the same, because the elevation would be hardly noticeable written on paper. I would go back and change a few of the more identical symbols, and make the later ones take fewer strokes.

Other than those, it looks great! You obviously put a lot of thought into it, and did your research. It's also typed up very professionally. Keep up the good work!

I must say, I'm quite glad to know that I'm not the only one with this question. I've been conlanging for a year or so, now, and am working on a project right now. It's the farthest I've ever gotten on a project, and I've got a lexicon of just over 500 entries at the moment, which is impressive since I believe my previous max was somewhere around 100. I am now mapping the region in which it is spoken, and was considering making a world map, but was contemplating the same question.

I'll admit that when I first read this post, I was afraid that the conlang would be a little lacking, perhaps not much more than a naming language, but, though I merely skimmed through the PDF, I was happily surprised with what I saw. In quickly skimming through the PDF, I would echo Seretur's comment about the alphabet, in that it would be quite difficult to work with. I also must agree with him in that it is typed up very professionally. It looks quite nice.
    Last edited by nai888; 07-08-2010 at 02:22 PM.
    Žentaňwes lekjetkom nen řiniŧom.

My WIP
    My DeviantArt