Thread: PS: Question on huge size images

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Crikey this thread is more interesting than I would have given. Obviously my idea of what is big is way different to everyone elses. My star chart challenge entry (Map for print) was 8192x12288 pix and the map I made for Galrion commission was 12288x16384. The MeDem map is 40K square. I would say 4K is a good size, 8K is quite big but you need to get to about 20K before it gets app bustingly big. After that I would say you absolutely have to tile tho I would recommend tiling at 8K squares. Thats only a 2x2 set to cover your 14K square image.

Gidde, if your machine is dying at 5Kx3K with 6Gb of RAM then something must be wrong ! I mean were talking a factor of 100x as big differences here. 5kx3k = 15Mpix and a big digi camera can take photos of that size and it doesnt have 6Gb of ram on board ! 15Mpix x 4 bytes per pix = 60Mb per layer so thats 100 layers of that to fill 6Gb. Sounds like a setup issue.

16Kx16K = 256Mpix = 1Gb per layer or undo buffer if your on an old style app like PS or Gimp etc. This is more of a problem for these apps esp in 32bit land.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 05-03-2010 at 06:42 AM.