25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely - 4e Rawks

15 60.00%
  • No, sorry - I like realism...

10 40.00%

Thread: Over the top 4e Battle Scene

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

4e, different from different versions is all about movement in Combat. A fight is different from previous editions in which you would run up and basically be 'stuck' in the fight until you or the monster is dead. Pushing, Pulling, Sliding, Shifting (think the 5foot step of 3e and 3.5 only instead of a single 5 foot square sometimes you can do it for you full movement, and not always on your turn either.)

So, 4e needs BIG, BIG, BIG environments to move around in. (look to the batllemaps linked in my sig), these are 4e maps. 20x30 rooms are not the norm. All the monsters are not in the room at once, they come from all over. Terrain IS important.

So, a 4e map is very important to the battle. Poison clouds, yawning chasms, plumes of smoke and jets of flame only enhance the battle map (remember that PUSH/PULL/SLIDE from above). These are hazards you or your enemy can take advantage of. See my example map and encounter below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4e example map.pdf  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave