25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely - 4e Rawks

15 60.00%
  • No, sorry - I like realism...

10 40.00%

Thread: Over the top 4e Battle Scene

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well I can't find the link to it, but WotC offered a free download of one of their adventures to get a feel for the system, which would probably help a lot. Know this, that I don't play 4e, and probably never will, but the idea of creating maps for that system seems like a smart move, since there are more 4e players than Pathfinder for example - so a larger customer base to work with.

I know things like when a fighter hits an opponent, the opponent might physically move two squares over, and on a miss one square over. A fighter can mark his target forcing the attacker to have a -2 to their attack on anyone other than the fighter that marked him. So something as silly as an archer 30' away, might be compelled to move closer to the fighter to get him, and now be subject to the fighter's direct melee. Both PC and opponent try to force the other into nasty pits, over the edge of cliffsides. Opponents have minions that must have room to work around the NPC/Monster opponent to attack party members.

3e/Pathfinder fights where each exchange of blows on adjacent squares in static fashion is somewhat rare. Its more likely that from the start of a fight to the end, the participants have moved 10 or more squares away from where they started. Battles are more fluid and really move around all over the place. A 10' x 10' room does not serve a 4e dungeon well, nor do 5' wide corridors, consider chambers that are 10 to 30 squares across.

If you're like me, you wonder how does a 300' x 200' dungeon chamber not collapse without walls supporting the ceiling above you - as I say, throw reality out the window. 4e does not concern itself for realistic engineering concepts rather great fight zones with lots of space, hazards and exotic terrains to make battles more exciting.

I hope that Tilt can provide an overview of these concepts better than I have explained. My education was over 2 days on a board with 4e lovers trying to beat these ideas into me. They really like my maps, and want me to build something they want to play on, not like the realistic stuff I normally design.

I hope that helps. Perhaps Tilt or someone could find a link to that free adventure (I hear its not such a great adventure, but it might better explain what I am trying to say here.)

GP

PS: thanks, NK, you beat my post by only moments and you've done a better job than I.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-08-2010 at 02:22 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations