A lot of people is talking about D&D is becomming the pen-and-paper version of a computergame, what I think that people forget is that D&D is more than combat - combat is great fun, but it is all the stories that tie it all together that is roleplaying - so basicly if you play D&D, AD&D, D&D 3, D&D 3.5, D&D Pathfinder, D&D 4e or D&D homebrew - it's all about what you do with it. I personally am very pleased with the new rules, and I love that all characters can be equally involved in combat, a wizard can fire spells all the way through - not limited to 2 magic missiles and then a short nap ... a cleric can help healing, but can do so as a minor action, and therefor is able to fight also and not only a healing machine (which many clerics got reduced to by falling comrades), everybody can heal a little in the new rules (taking ones second wind). All in all well balanced and great fun to play. It is of course always personal taste that decides, but I've played perhaps 30 different types of rpg's during my 30 years of playing, so I've seen a lot of cool stuff and a lot of ... not-so-cool stuff, so I have a little experience to draw from *lol*.
And kudos to wizards for reviving D&D after TSR let it slide...
(and neonknight - yep, but the paladin then HAVE to engage, or he looses the mark and the ability to mark for a turn - so they all have advantages and disadvantages ... just trying to say to players that don't play 4e, that there is a lot of tactics involved, not just point-and-click combat *lol*)