Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
Never heard of AAA but they have a website www.aaa.com so its a US thing I think. They have an affiliate program which links to our more regular AA which is the automobile association - they are the UKs oldest (premiere?) breakdown recovery, insurance and all things car people. They make a lot of UK road maps and issue a huge ring bound atlas style UK map covering all the roads each year so its possible that this is a spin of one of those.

Also dont miss out on :
http://www.openstreetmap.org/
which is open vector data for UK streets garnered from user generated GPS logs. Its licensed with CC so if you use it then your map would have to be CC too cos its a share alike but its free to use as in beer and mostly free as in speech.

If you use that then I think you will be ok, if not then lordy you need help ! That would be a massive undertaking.
Yeah, I think you just saved me several years of work on this map; thanks for that! I don't mind that it has a CC license, I think that's pretty cool, actually. I'm assuming it's more detailed than I need, it looks like my map is mostly A, B, and probably C roads. I guess my major problem now is finding geo data. It's not really my intention to ever actually finish it, though, I'd like it to be a continuing background project that I can go to when I'm bored or feel like doing something different.

As for the source of the map, I just realized that I was looking right at it-it is a AAA map (and AAA is a US organization as you thought). If you look in the picture on the far left above the inset of London, you'll see the logo.