View Poll Results: What mapping software do you use? (multi select enabled)

Voters
1361. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raster (bought) [e.g. Photoshop, PaintShopPro, Painter]

726 53.34%
  • Raster (free) [e.g. GIMP]

547 40.19%
  • Vector (bought) [e.g. Illustrator, Corel Draw, Xara]

303 22.26%
  • Vector (free) [e.g. Inkscape]

265 19.47%
  • Vector (Symbol driven) [e.g. CC, Dunjinni]

329 24.17%
  • Online Generator [e.g. City Map Generator, Fractal World Generator]

115 8.45%
  • Fractal Generator [e.g. Fractal Terrains]

188 13.81%
  • 3d modelling [e.g. Bryce, Vue Infinite, Blender]

169 12.42%
  • Scanned hand drawn maps

452 33.21%
  • Drawing Tablet and pen [e.g. Wacom]

384 28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: New to Digital Cartography? Software General Information

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am looking for some new software. I have been using MapTools, which was a great free product with lots of real gaming functionality, but it is a limited tool that just sometimes doesn't save your work...

So, that said, I am torn. I thought that CC3 was the best thing on the market for making DnD maps (I will be doing a lot of towns and outdoor maps that I want to have professionally printed). I am willing to spend a few hundred dollars to get the right software. For that money, what is my best option?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I think it all depends on the type of look you are after, and how much time you are willing to dedicate to learning a new program. There is no instant mapping program that (as far as I know) will present you with anything worth while without some work and time investment. If you are used to CC3, I would stay with that and try out some of our tutorials for it. Also, my understanding is that MapTools is more of a VTT program, which is better at displaying finished maps for play than the creation of the maps themselves. If you would rather be creating maps from scratch (or nearly so) then I would suggest downloading GIMP and possibly Inkscape to see if you prefer to using Raster or Vector programs. If you want a start to your city maps, try getting RPGCityGenerator for somewhere. It is a free down load with a current link somewhere on the site...

In closing, with the time and effort required to learn a program, why be willing to spend money when there are plenty of free (or close to it) programs out there that can do the same, if not better in some cases. Esp. if this is for personal use, and not intended to be a money maker.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Novice

I have recently started using GIMP. The Layers Technology was an eye-opener! It allows you to start with a concept in your mind and build it up into an image step by step...almost like doing a good modular OOP program! Of course I am too new to it to say much more at this stage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mssandhu View Post
    I have recently started using GIMP. The Layers Technology was an eye-opener! It allows you to start with a concept in your mind and build it up into an image step by step...almost like doing a good modular OOP program! Of course I am too new to it to say much more at this stage.
    If you like thinking in terms of "objects" then Vector graphics or even GIS might fit your thinking even better.

Does anyone know of a decent mapping tool for a android based system?

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thorf's Avatar

For many years I've used Illustrator almost exclusively for all my mapping, and the vast majority has been hex maps. I bought Manifold for its georegistration and projection features, but aside from that I didn't even go to Photoshop for anything. I was always planning to move beyond the hex maps for world maps, but the nature of my project meant that I never got to that stage.

However, recently I have decided to expand my skill set for a new project I'm working on, and I've been exploring raster software, and especially software that lets me work with height maps. So far I've primarily been using Photoshop and Wilbur, with Manifold and G.Projector for reprojection, and Illustrator for vector work (mostly coastlines and graticules). I'm planning on involving Fractal Terrains 3 at some point, though so far I prefer Wilbur for its high resolution capabilities as well as being able to work on a world split into smaller parts.

It seems I may be in the minority here at the Guild for my love of GIS and hyper-realism in my fantasy mapping. It would certainly be easier if I didn't worry about such things, but I just can't help it. As a result, the programs I would most love to have are MAPublisher and Geographic Imager, which enable GIS-type features in Illustrator and Photoshop respectively. This would also allow me to ditch Manifold, which does the job, albeit in a roundabout way.

Finally to round things out I sometimes use InDesign for presentation, mostly for making PDFs when text or images are involved and Illustrator is not quite up to the job.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

I use Photoshop CS5 but I am fairly new to it. I don't know much about it and would like any help/tutorials in learning the program. I also have illustrator if a certain method calls for that too.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected nikwriter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Russell View Post
    I use Photoshop CS5 but I am fairly new to it. I don't know much about it and would like any help/tutorials in learning the program. I also have illustrator if a certain method calls for that too.
    I used CS3 and there could be a world of difference between the versions. I had a rudimentary knowledge of the program, but this tutorial taught me its true potential. It uses two other programs (Fractal Terrains, which has a free demo that should work fine for purposes of the tutorial, and Wilbur, which is free). Give it a try; the photoshop part is toward the end but I think you will be surprised by the outcome I am certainly impressed with it, and know a lot more about PS now.

Besides, it was designed by one of this guild for a mapping company as a tutorial. Check it out:

The Genesis of Israh; A Tutorial
    Nick

Join the interactive World of Gethra!
    twitch.tv/navsguild

Guild Applicant

I like Photoshop and painter, but Gimp blow me away when first started to use it.

I am starting to use photoshop ans illustrator to make maps (instead of using them to make my architectural renders and presentations) with my Bamboo tablet, but I also used symbol driven softwares in the past. Nevertheless, most of my maps are drawn by hand.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast