View Poll Results: What mapping software do you use? (multi select enabled)

Voters
1361. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raster (bought) [e.g. Photoshop, PaintShopPro, Painter]

726 53.34%
  • Raster (free) [e.g. GIMP]

547 40.19%
  • Vector (bought) [e.g. Illustrator, Corel Draw, Xara]

303 22.26%
  • Vector (free) [e.g. Inkscape]

265 19.47%
  • Vector (Symbol driven) [e.g. CC, Dunjinni]

329 24.17%
  • Online Generator [e.g. City Map Generator, Fractal World Generator]

115 8.45%
  • Fractal Generator [e.g. Fractal Terrains]

188 13.81%
  • 3d modelling [e.g. Bryce, Vue Infinite, Blender]

169 12.42%
  • Scanned hand drawn maps

452 33.21%
  • Drawing Tablet and pen [e.g. Wacom]

384 28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Digital Cartography? Software General Information

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild! CC3 has a pretty steep learning curve. If you can deal with that, it's a fantastic program. If not, however, I'd recommend downloading the GIMP (it's free: http://gimp.org) and perusing the Tutorials forum for GIMP tutorials you like. That will get you started very quickly.

Thanks for the tip!

Guild Applicant

I'm using the CC3, also Bryce and Hexagon. I have no talent to draw something by hand, so if I need new symbols for a map I usually make it with a 3D programm, then use Gimp to give it the final touch and then put it into my mapping program.

@Schneden: If you feel inspired enough to read through one or two documentations to learn CC3, it shouldn't be too hard to learn, you don't need things like the command line as a beginner. Btw, CC3 was my choice exactly for that reason: I have no talent to draw.

Well I kind of gave up on Campaign Cartographer after version 2, as most of the key clicks are the exact opposite of Autocad which I use at work (drove me crazy). Most of my maps are done with Paint shop Pro (version 8 ) although I do a lot with colored pencil and scanners. I like Paintshop pro because I can work with both vector and raster layers in the same drawing. My wife makes fun of me because I keep buying mapping programs (including dujini, and fractal mapper, as well as campaign cartographer), she manages to produce gorgous maps using Windows paint (her favorite program, because it less features to confuse her and can cut and paste with one less click that Paintshop Pro)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Photoshop and a cintiq for me. wish there were more tutorials for vector mapping as i cant quite figure out the advantages, option it offer cartography

Right now I don't have any software to make maps. Been thinking of DLing Gimp but I know nothing about it really other than it is a nice substitute for photoshop basically. Where can I find tutorial for this program and a safe download of the program? Sorry and please excuse me for being a newb if this is posted in the wrong place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juce734 View Post
    Right now I don't have any software to make maps. Been thinking of DLing Gimp but I know nothing about it really other than it is a nice substitute for photoshop basically. Where can I find tutorial for this program and a safe download of the program? Sorry and please excuse me for being a newb if this is posted in the wrong place.
    This isn't really the right thread but you can get GIMP from the GIMP website: http://www.gimp.org/ which is linked to in the second post of the List of Mapping Software sticky thread near the top of this forum. You might also want to try Inkscape which is a ways further into the thread: http://inkscape.org/

I find vector a lot easier to work with than raster, though raster is good for touching up. I've played around with CC, but keep ending up back at Inkscape.

I am looking for some new software. I have been using MapTools, which was a great free product with lots of real gaming functionality, but it is a limited tool that just sometimes doesn't save your work...

So, that said, I am torn. I thought that CC3 was the best thing on the market for making DnD maps (I will be doing a lot of towns and outdoor maps that I want to have professionally printed). I am willing to spend a few hundred dollars to get the right software. For that money, what is my best option?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I think it all depends on the type of look you are after, and how much time you are willing to dedicate to learning a new program. There is no instant mapping program that (as far as I know) will present you with anything worth while without some work and time investment. If you are used to CC3, I would stay with that and try out some of our tutorials for it. Also, my understanding is that MapTools is more of a VTT program, which is better at displaying finished maps for play than the creation of the maps themselves. If you would rather be creating maps from scratch (or nearly so) then I would suggest downloading GIMP and possibly Inkscape to see if you prefer to using Raster or Vector programs. If you want a start to your city maps, try getting RPGCityGenerator for somewhere. It is a free down load with a current link somewhere on the site...

In closing, with the time and effort required to learn a program, why be willing to spend money when there are plenty of free (or close to it) programs out there that can do the same, if not better in some cases. Esp. if this is for personal use, and not intended to be a money maker.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast