View Poll Results: What mapping software do you use? (multi select enabled)

Voters
1361. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raster (bought) [e.g. Photoshop, PaintShopPro, Painter]

726 53.34%
  • Raster (free) [e.g. GIMP]

547 40.19%
  • Vector (bought) [e.g. Illustrator, Corel Draw, Xara]

303 22.26%
  • Vector (free) [e.g. Inkscape]

265 19.47%
  • Vector (Symbol driven) [e.g. CC, Dunjinni]

329 24.17%
  • Online Generator [e.g. City Map Generator, Fractal World Generator]

115 8.45%
  • Fractal Generator [e.g. Fractal Terrains]

188 13.81%
  • 3d modelling [e.g. Bryce, Vue Infinite, Blender]

169 12.42%
  • Scanned hand drawn maps

452 33.21%
  • Drawing Tablet and pen [e.g. Wacom]

384 28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: New to Digital Cartography? Software General Information

Guild Novice

I have recently started using GIMP. The Layers Technology was an eye-opener! It allows you to start with a concept in your mind and build it up into an image step by step...almost like doing a good modular OOP program! Of course I am too new to it to say much more at this stage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mssandhu View Post
    I have recently started using GIMP. The Layers Technology was an eye-opener! It allows you to start with a concept in your mind and build it up into an image step by step...almost like doing a good modular OOP program! Of course I am too new to it to say much more at this stage.
    If you like thinking in terms of "objects" then Vector graphics or even GIS might fit your thinking even better.

Does anyone know of a decent mapping tool for a android based system?

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thorf's Avatar

For many years I've used Illustrator almost exclusively for all my mapping, and the vast majority has been hex maps. I bought Manifold for its georegistration and projection features, but aside from that I didn't even go to Photoshop for anything. I was always planning to move beyond the hex maps for world maps, but the nature of my project meant that I never got to that stage.

However, recently I have decided to expand my skill set for a new project I'm working on, and I've been exploring raster software, and especially software that lets me work with height maps. So far I've primarily been using Photoshop and Wilbur, with Manifold and G.Projector for reprojection, and Illustrator for vector work (mostly coastlines and graticules). I'm planning on involving Fractal Terrains 3 at some point, though so far I prefer Wilbur for its high resolution capabilities as well as being able to work on a world split into smaller parts.

It seems I may be in the minority here at the Guild for my love of GIS and hyper-realism in my fantasy mapping. It would certainly be easier if I didn't worry about such things, but I just can't help it. As a result, the programs I would most love to have are MAPublisher and Geographic Imager, which enable GIS-type features in Illustrator and Photoshop respectively. This would also allow me to ditch Manifold, which does the job, albeit in a roundabout way.

Finally to round things out I sometimes use InDesign for presentation, mostly for making PDFs when text or images are involved and Illustrator is not quite up to the job.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

I use Photoshop CS5 but I am fairly new to it. I don't know much about it and would like any help/tutorials in learning the program. I also have illustrator if a certain method calls for that too.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected nikwriter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Russell View Post
    I use Photoshop CS5 but I am fairly new to it. I don't know much about it and would like any help/tutorials in learning the program. I also have illustrator if a certain method calls for that too.
    I used CS3 and there could be a world of difference between the versions. I had a rudimentary knowledge of the program, but this tutorial taught me its true potential. It uses two other programs (Fractal Terrains, which has a free demo that should work fine for purposes of the tutorial, and Wilbur, which is free). Give it a try; the photoshop part is toward the end but I think you will be surprised by the outcome I am certainly impressed with it, and know a lot more about PS now.

Besides, it was designed by one of this guild for a mapping company as a tutorial. Check it out:

The Genesis of Israh; A Tutorial
    Nick

Join the interactive World of Gethra!
    twitch.tv/navsguild

Guild Applicant

I like Photoshop and painter, but Gimp blow me away when first started to use it.

I am starting to use photoshop ans illustrator to make maps (instead of using them to make my architectural renders and presentations) with my Bamboo tablet, but I also used symbol driven softwares in the past. Nevertheless, most of my maps are drawn by hand.

Guild Applicant

So, you can freehand draw a map and make it look better on Gimp? I think that sounds like something I could try. Awesome.

I currently use photoshop cs6, there's a world of difference between it and cs5 which is what I was originally trained in! It's a wonderful program for painting and you can get some nice effects, but it's pretty processor heavy. Especially if you get into higher res images and lots of layers (which I do) my poor computer spends about half my work time choking some days. Can anyone tell me how Gimp compares in that department? And if I know photoshop well am I going to have issues adjusting to it?

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast