View Poll Results: What mapping software do you use? (multi select enabled)

Voters
1361. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raster (bought) [e.g. Photoshop, PaintShopPro, Painter]

726 53.34%
  • Raster (free) [e.g. GIMP]

547 40.19%
  • Vector (bought) [e.g. Illustrator, Corel Draw, Xara]

303 22.26%
  • Vector (free) [e.g. Inkscape]

265 19.47%
  • Vector (Symbol driven) [e.g. CC, Dunjinni]

329 24.17%
  • Online Generator [e.g. City Map Generator, Fractal World Generator]

115 8.45%
  • Fractal Generator [e.g. Fractal Terrains]

188 13.81%
  • 3d modelling [e.g. Bryce, Vue Infinite, Blender]

169 12.42%
  • Scanned hand drawn maps

452 33.21%
  • Drawing Tablet and pen [e.g. Wacom]

384 28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: New to Digital Cartography? Software General Information

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fill & Hatch

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm pretty new to map making. I see in the original poll that most members (at least back then) preferred raster programs to vector. Does this have something to do with fill? I'm using Inkscape and filling an object seems to give really sloppy results. The more irregular it is, say a jagged coastline like Norway's, the more sloppy the fill. I thought fill would just fill a bounded area regardless of detail. Is bad fill just a property of vector based programs? Should I switch to something else? Also there's no way to fill with a hatch instead of color in Inkscape except for one pattern they have available, which doesn't work well in maps.

Thanks.

I'm going to guess you're using the paint bucket to fill your shape? That tool is odd to me. I pretty much never use it. The Fill & Stroke panel is the only way I colour objects. Is your land shape a closed object? If not, is there a way you can easily make it closed?

If you must use the bucket fill, I think there's a setting somewhere that you can tweak on how it fills, though my understanding is that the more you zoom in, the more accurate the fill will be. But that - as you've noticed! - is a bit of a nightmare with a complex shape.

As for hatching, there are several patterns available, again, in the Fill & Stroke panel, and these can be resized to suit. If none of them suit, you can make your own pattern (Create your pattern, then convert it to a pattern via the Object menu / Pattern / Objects to pattern.)

I love Inkscape for mapping, though I usually use it in combination with other tools, but for things like tapered rivers and labelling, it can't be beat (in my humble opinion!)
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks very much. I have noticed zooming in makes it better, but as you say it's hard to go through the whole map that way! OK, I'll try the fill & stroke panel, I thought the bucket was just a shortcut for that. The hatch patters you mention I don't see, I have only one diagonal stripe available and the narrowest version is 1:1.

Thanks again.

Do you not have a dropdown menu in the pattern fill area (this is on the Fill & Stroke panel)? There's a list of various patterns and sizes there. I mean, the default Inkscape patterns are not that exciting, but there should be more than one pattern. I have horizontal stripes in black & white of various sizes, plus some other bits and bobs like checkerboard, polka dot etc. You can resize/rotate each pattern on the canvas too.

And just for clarity, the bucket fill tool is completely apart from the fill & stroke tool. They operate differently and aren't a shortcut for each other (though I can see why you would think that). If your shape is closed (no gaps in the line), just click it once to select it, then click a random colour swatch at the bottom of the page, and your shape will be filled with the new colour instantly, without any faffing around.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Excellent, thank you!

Interesting read.
    What category would Wonderdraft fall under on this software program list?

GAH! Wrong thread. Please ignore the Wolfe behind the curtain. Clearly he is not paying attention to what he is doing.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 01-10-2021 at 11:30 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526