View Poll Results: What mapping software do you use? (multi select enabled)

Voters
1361. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raster (bought) [e.g. Photoshop, PaintShopPro, Painter]

726 53.34%
  • Raster (free) [e.g. GIMP]

547 40.19%
  • Vector (bought) [e.g. Illustrator, Corel Draw, Xara]

303 22.26%
  • Vector (free) [e.g. Inkscape]

265 19.47%
  • Vector (Symbol driven) [e.g. CC, Dunjinni]

329 24.17%
  • Online Generator [e.g. City Map Generator, Fractal World Generator]

115 8.45%
  • Fractal Generator [e.g. Fractal Terrains]

188 13.81%
  • 3d modelling [e.g. Bryce, Vue Infinite, Blender]

169 12.42%
  • Scanned hand drawn maps

452 33.21%
  • Drawing Tablet and pen [e.g. Wacom]

384 28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Digital Cartography? Software General Information

I am a fanatic of the GIMP for raster editing; for vectors I used Inkscape, and recently I started to experiment with Xara Xtreme.

My favourite method of work is to doodle, doodle, doodle until there's something sensible on the paper; then I scan it and do all the further editing on computer, with previously listed software.

Though it's my preferred method of work, I love to experiment and test new software, plainly graphical as well as map-specific.

I've checked out a few sites and been awed by what I've seen.

It looks like I will need to redesign my layout. Most world maps I've seen do a general outline, and then link to other maps for closeups, and then those may have other links for yet closer work. Rule of thumb is overall design - if it's not functional or flexible, it will limit your final product. So, back to the drawing board!

Still planning on CC3 with 1 or 2 modules, but will rework my own maps accordingly. Even if they are flattish, I like the cartographic style for my own work.

However, did play with my ancient copy of CC (version 6); did a small village in a couple of hours. Meh! Looking at it again, I guess it is actually Campaign Mapper, not CC.

I was interested in mapping out a recent campaign event where the people of County Blackheath got wind of an unseelie invasion (outnumbering the humans and their centaur allies more than 5 to 1), and in three days, packed up as many people as they could and then fled, forced marching for five days north across the plains in the middle of winter to their allies and help. What fun! Even more fun was the battle on the border. Heh heh.
    Last edited by The Good Doctor; 02-10-2009 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Correction
    "Wherever you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

Golly, a few words about the software I use . . . Um . . .

Well, it's an older version of Paintshop Pro for me, like almost ancient. Six-point something or another. And then there's Fractal Terrains Pro, only recently updated. And finally, Terragen 0.9.43 I keep looking at the Terragen2 Technology, but haven't convinced myself to purchase it yet, especially since my current version is serving well enough. Biggest drawback is that it can't route rivers or layout water above "sea level" without some serious tweaking. And lastly, there is the good old pencil and paper method, at least for roughing things out.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Adobe Photoshop, Inkscape, and Fractal Mapper. Photoshop for modifying images, Fractal Mapper for maps, and Inkscape for general drawing.

I do own a copy of Campaign Cartographer 3 (and CC2, actually), but I would rather stab myself in the eyes and draw with my own blood rather than use it. Fractal Mapper can do everything CC can do with one-tenth the effort.

I also own Adobe Illustrator (I have CS4), but I prefer to use Inkscape for general drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by bblackmoor View Post
    Adobe Photoshop, Inkscape, and Fractal Mapper. Photoshop for modifying images, Fractal Mapper for maps, and Inkscape for general drawing.

I do own a copy of Campaign Cartographer 3 (and CC2, actually), but I would rather stab myself in the eyes and draw with my own blood rather than use it. Fractal Mapper can do everything CC can do with one-tenth the effort.

I also own Adobe Illustrator (I have CS4), but I prefer to use Inkscape for general drawing.

I am looking forward to seeing what you can do with FM (8 I assume??). We have very few people here have spent any time using it, and even fewer who use it frequently. Please post up some samples as soon as you can.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing what you can do with FM (8 I assume??).
    I am in the planning stages for a game right now. With any luck, I will have some maps to show for it. Historically, I am long on ambition and short on follow-through, so... who knows.

bblackmoor, I was looking at your software list and I didn't see MapTool. Are you familiar with it? If you are not, you can check it out by following the link in my sig. It is a VT that has some pretty cool features. There is also ViewingDale which I didn't see either. It is also a VT with some great features. The creators of both are members here on the boards if you want to ask questions. Otherwise that is quite an impressive list you've compiled of games and software. Well done!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quick translation: VT or VTT stands for Virtual Table Top. Programs like MapTool, Viewingdale, ScreenMonkey, Fantasy Grounds, and the D&D GameTable that act as virtual battlemats on your computer screen and allow real-time internet play. They can also be used in face-to-face games, as I do with my group, displaying electronic maps on my HDTV.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    bblackmoor, I was looking at your software list and I didn't see MapTool. Are you familiar with it?

I am not, but I will check it out.

The RPTools forums are a great place to ask questions if you have any, but you can ask here as well if you would like.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast