Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you create your maps for?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I originally started creating them for my campaign setting. Now I just do them for fun.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

Firstly i admire the possibility of creating something non existent,the rise of a very personal kind of imagination and creativity!Then the need to feel a kind of vain sense of being a small "god" perhaps.Also maybe because I ain't that good in drawing or painting of people.However due to the limited interest that usually people show about cartography i think I like the "cult" taste of it,too.

Cartography is my favorite artform - I primarily create them to help maintain my sanity. Also I create maps as a secondary income source in the production of commissioned maps for small RPG publishers. After doing so for a couple of years, now I've turned to creating RPG settings, adventures and gaming aids as a publisher with an emphasis on maps. But if I didn't have a commission or several current publication projects I'm working on, I'd still be making maps for my own pleasure.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I draw maps as a relaxation project on my free time, there is something soothing in imagining pwetty places, and then drawing them in on a map. Then afterwards I might make a story out of them, putting them in a context and creating those extra fluff.

Creative outlet that also helps me hone my artistic talents.

Related to my gaming with friends but that only happens like once every 6 months or something these days.

I love imagining the places and worlds I can create. I can walk the halls, climb the mountains and delve beneath the earth almost like reading a book only it's better because it's all from my own imagination. Some day I hope it will inspire me to write a book or at least a short story or two.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I was inspired to start making maps for D&D, but now I'm thinking I should also make a few for my own stories. It would certainly help me visualize things, especially when I have writer's block.

Guild Novice

Keep me from dieing of boredom. I will starve if I do not consume maps. :b

Mostly for my 4E campaign but since coming here I've been getting some ideas for things totally outside of it.

Guild Applicant

I haven't created any yet, but came here to get help and tips on how to make them. At the moment I'm currently just practicing and enjoying the learning process of making maps. I've never been much good at drawing, but this is different, it is easier, because no-one can tell me that I am right or wrong with my own world. I hope someday that I can be as good as some of the people on here. Soon I plan to make a few maps for the play by post forum that I am making, to tie in with the history and storyline of it all, as well as create some 'battle maps' of sorts. I will probably also want to make some in future for when I write short stories, as I have always enjoyed writing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12