My expertise regards either large format inkjet printers or commercial grade color laser printers - all things that cost over $5000, so I don't know how much help I can offer you. Redrobes mentions the Canon IP4200, I have a Canon IP8100 which prints 44" wide media, and while I highly recommend that - I print lots, everyday really, but then its really more for a commerical need, rather than home use.

My color laser printer is a Xante Illumina, but that lets me print 12 x 18 up to 150# cardstock, which is not for the home user. The newer Ricoh color lasers look pretty good and might be what I go to to replace the Illumina as its getting old...

I've used HP - they sucked, but that was a long time ago and HP has greatly improved since then. I've used EnCAD which nolonger exist, bought out by Kodak, then dumped out of existence. I'd say over the years, I've had the best luck with Canon printers.

Sorry, I don't know the home inkjet market - have always worked with large format or commercial printers, so I can't help you much.

GP