Thread: New Member

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Member

So for sometime now I have been coming and going viewing content and expanding my knowledge. I thought I take a second to introduce myself and share with the Guild the project I have been working on.

**** My Story ****

I am avid D&D player been playing since 1st edition. Like many I started out with graph paper and pencils. Then along came Chessex and the wet erase battlemaps. That has pretty much been the technology for the past 20 years. Wet erase is fine but tends to break up the flow of the game.

Wizards of the Coast has published several fine looking tile sets for use with miniatures. I have tended to stay away from theses because of the price point and the setup time.

There are a number of groups now actively using projectors for their D&D sessions. Since our weekly group meets up on campus at Drexel I was looking for a portable solution that was compact and lightweight enough to carry to our sessions.

I selected the 3M's 3M MPRO110 priced at $129 (purchased from Tiger Direct). The unit fulfilled my needs: (1) cheap (2) small and compact the size of cell phone.

The are a number of factors to look out for with projectors. Things to consider are: throw distance, lumens, bulb life and light source.

The 3M unit is one of first micro projector's on the market. Its innovative in its design although there are several design characteristics that have been enhanced with newer models.

In my opinion the PROs of the unit far outweigh the CONs. Its small compact design, price and life (10,000 hours = 4 hr per session 2,500 sessions roughly $0.05 per game) met my needs.

I have developed all of maps with Gimp v 2.6 but you could easily use other shrink wrapped products to do the same.

I uploaded a picture that was taken of one of the maps to the site. Since the best surface to project off of is white, I use an old forgotten realms map for my surface area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-05-13 20.09.49.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	405.3 KB 
ID:	24836

I am going to pull all my work together and stuff it up on my blog when I have sometime.

Thanks again to community without your collective experience and knowledge it would have made my activities much more challenging.

Croaker999

P.S. I know there are lover's of Glen Cook's Black Company series out there. Just stop taking all the character names for use as logins. ; - )
    Last edited by croaker999; 05-16-2010 at 11:14 PM.