Thread: A Proof of Concept

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Welcome to the Guild Minimal! Hey those are looking really good so far. I haven't worked wit vector programs yet, so I can't offer any advice myself, but I'm sure others will have something to contribute. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

>.>
    <.<

I've totally ruined my lurker status haven't I?

Well, I can wrap it around a globe in google I'm pretty sure, and that would let me add political boundaries there. I think that might defeat the purpose of being able to reproject it while maintaining (and so far effectively increasing due to my detail levels in FT) the detail. I know there's a way to do overlay images in FT, but the manual states that those aren't saved as part of the map so I'm not sure if I can make political boundaries that way. (Any input on ways to do this would be massively appreciated)

I have learned some neat things though:

Reducing the altitude pallets to one color for land and one for ocean and removing shading results in the 'flat map' in the inset. I'm not sure I've seen anyone else do it that way but dang that's convenient.

The colors on the 'main' map were done by taking the gaia map as a base, overlaying a the custom climate map copy from this excellent tutorial, using image adjustments to separate and retone the water colors on the gaia map and then using the (separated) land maps in that climate copy as a hue overlay. I like the coloring effect a lot better than the originals.

I also know that I need to learn how to do some of the nice compass roses. I like mine as a hyper simple place holder but it's not exactly professional looking.
    Last edited by minimal; 05-17-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Fixing link