Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop, Adapted to Gimp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

New mappers are usually new to The Guild so they almost always neglect to go back and look through the vast amount of assembled knowledge. So kudos to you for doing so.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Default Pending tutorial link...

Hey, All.

Just a quick comment. I will be creating a link to this tutorial / thread in the near term. I'm waiting right now to see if any of the Chapters 1, 2 or, 3 are going to be updated with any futher information.

Looking forward to the completed series.

Thanks fo all your hard work, wisemoon.

Regards,

Vandy
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

I like the tutorial, too. It is really helpful and deserves to be more recognized. Will there be more steps?

Guild Applicant

I see in Episode 2, the instructions require a watercolour set. Where can I download one for GIMP 2.8? I am relatively new to GIMP.
    -Xis

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aetherImprobable View Post
    I see in Episode 2, the instructions require a watercolour set. Where can I download one for GIMP 2.8? I am relatively new to GIMP.
    -Xis
    I am SO sorry I wasn't able to see this and respond in a timely fashion. If you are still following the thread, the best way to find brushes for GIMP is to go to deviantart.com and do a search on "gimp brushes". There are a TON of great artists on deviantart who are creating brushes for both Photoshop and GIMP. I'm sure you can find a set of watercolor brushes there. Thanks for reading my thread and using my tutorials!
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Thank you so much for this transcript and "translation" to GIMP.

Info A little thank you gift....

Greets;

When I got to the end of the first episode, I said to myself, "...Self, there has got to be way to complete that last step." I tried manipulating GIMP, but no luck. So I jumped on the Google express 'cause I JUST KNEW the solution was lurking somewhere out on the Weird Wide Web. And I was right!

Whilst skulking about on Google, I stumbled across Free Filters & Plug-ins, and guess what I found? A PS plug-in called Spraye that does exactly what Filters > Brush Strokes > Sprayed Strokes does in PhotoShop; I already tested it and it works 100% in GIMP. So here it is for you and anyone else who wants it. A small token of thanks for all I've learned and my own little contribution to a great tutorial.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Info

Here's another little addition that might be useful, a set of 5 masks that can be used for the tutorial's torn paper effect rather than using the select tool. Makes things a bit easier.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, I had no idea Butch Curry was actually a member here! Looks like he is a recent applicant. I am honored you chimed in on my thread, Butch! Any plans to add more episodes to your video tutorial series? Last I saw you had gotten up to episode 18...

Oh, and guys I promise I am working on episode 4...it will be up soon!
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

I was on here some time ago as palehorse and just came back today. I'll make an announcement about future plans by the end of the week, here and on my YouTube channel before anywhere else!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast