Thread: Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop, Adapted to Gimp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much, Katto! I will keep plugging away at it. I've noticed that RobA recently posted a tutorial on how to make "old, tattered paper" in Gimp...I haven't looked at it yet, but depending on his methods I might end up using his methods in the tutorial. I did my best to emulate what Butch Curry did in Photoshop, but in many cases I had to deviate quite considerably from the video simply because I couldn't figure out how to do what Curry did!

I plan to continue updating and editing these over time, so eventually they may become just "Gimp tutorials" instead of being an "adaptation" of someone else's tutorials. We'll see how it goes.
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Blog Entries

I'm working on the tutorial from Episode 3. I may end up cutting it into two parts; much of Episode 3 is creating a custom pattern for trees/forest. The process is different enough in Gimp that it's taking me awhile to figure it out. I may, in fact, post that as a separate tutorial entirely...I couldn't find any other tutorials on creating seamless patterns in Gimp on this site. In fact, even an Internet search didn't turn up much. Most of the tutorials I found focus on creating texture patterns, which are more photorealistic than the pattern I'm trying to do. Curry's method creates an antique, "hand-drawn" style; he shows you how to hand-draw a forest pattern, then use it to bucket-fill or paint with.

As soon as I get the pattern thing figured out, I'll be posting the next installment. Thanks for reading!

wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Blog Entries

Episode 3 is now finished. In this episode, we create a forest pattern, fill a new layer with it, then use masking techniques to selectively paint in areas of forest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FantasyCartography_AdaptedToGimp_Ep3.pdf