Thread: Aduro (World project)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Thanks for theses details, much appreciated.
    It seems that working with very high resolutions leads to very high quality mqp. But 30k X 25K is way over what my computer can deal with. Does your computer slow down working with that resol?
    Fractal terrains is definitely a must if we want to get the same render. I need now to think about it :/

The process seemed to have been quite long but it did worth it
    Now, I'm hungry to see the rest

The 2 only things you should think about is increasing overall contrast on the lands and saturating the colors. It looks great, as it is, but a bit too saturated, too gray. Playing with colors and contrast tools should help giving an even better punch. Just my opinion

Good job so far!
    Last edited by Dain; 05-19-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dain View Post
    It seems that working with very high resolutions leads to very high quality mqp. But 30k X 25K is way over what my computer can deal with. Does your computer slow down working with that resol?
    Fractal terrains is definitely a must if we want to get the same render. I need now to think about it :/

The process seemed to have been quite long but it did worth it
    Now, I'm hungry to see the rest

Good job!
    I've been feeling sick this week, so the stitching was something my mind could handle. Under normal circumstances, and if it would only affect one map? I would never work in that resolution if it required stitching and adjusting as I did this time. For something that I was doing for one or two maps on the fly I would have just created and cut out continents and island chains individually and stuck with a lower res world map.

You could get similar results starting at the 15k width I'm fairly certain. The colors would work exactly the same, but the find edges would stay more distinct and not create the sort of patina effect it got this way. I needed a high resolution copy since I want to be able to do things like zone maps on the high rez and break them down without losing information.

The computer slows down based more on layers than resolution since most of the layers in this are (nearly) full resolution themselves. That said, everything other than the smudge tool worked in nearly real-time. I've never found a good resolution other than 'too small to be useful' that works with the smudge tool though to be honest.

Edit: The saturation was a decision this time. I'm still torn between this look and the 'brighter' version I had earlier. It's a pretty simple adjustment either way.
    Last edited by minimal; 05-19-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Love the map! Have some rep!

Oddly enough, I suppose, the thing I really love about this is the coastal shallows and water textures. I really dig how they are not just 50px bigger than the coasts, but that they vary and shift. That's a really nice detail, along with the coloring and texturing.

And plus, the scale of the entire project is something I appreciate as it's similar to the level of work I want to attempt for my own fiction setting.

For me, I'm making one large poster (the SLUG Map thread), but took the heightmap and put it on a more stark blue and beige map for my more intensive worldbuilding efforts (trade, mapping cultures throughout history, travel times, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Dain View Post
    I work at pretty high resolutions myself, and to avoid the PC going slow as molasses, I break up my map into about a dozen different files (land shapes, heightmask, textures/colors, borders, etc). Granted, loading and saving some of the bigger files, namely the land textures and the borders, still take forever, but working at such large sizes in a single master files would just be suicide.