Thread: Random Map Technique

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Random Map Technique

I'm trying to refine the technique used here. to make this style of map in GIMP.

Attached is what I have so far (without any colour adjustments). This allows pretty fine control over the location of the mountains, shorelines, and forest features.

I haven't applied any colour adjustment to the image at this point.

I particularly like the shore water effect I came up with using a displacement map twice in opposite directions.

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_technique.png 
Views:	860 
Size:	623.5 KB 
ID:	1218  

Looking very nice!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

On a whim, I massaged and exported a height-field from this image, and exported just the colour washes with no shading, and combined them in using the Persistence of Vision raytracer.

I then rendered the image out using the forced perspective of 3D planimetric relief (plan oblique relief) with a 26 degree elevation back into a 800x800 image...

This leaves the land shaped the same, but notice how the mountains now have a profile view to them? It's quite a bit of extra work, but it does make for a nice map

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hf.png 
Views:	314 
Size:	735.6 KB 
ID:	1221  
    Last edited by RobA; 10-24-2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: I also attached a cropped comparison

Oooo... Purtey! Very stylized, but it has a lot of character. I likey!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.