Thread: I Found an L-System Generator!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I Found an L-System Generator!

... but I don't know how to use it

You can download the generator here: http://www.generation5.org/content/2002/lse.asp

L-System generators are often used to make procedural city streets. What I don't know is whether this generator (because I don't understand code or programming) can detect collisions, meaning I don't know whether you can tell the program to stop drawing a line if it hits another line or write the rules so it looks that way. If we can crack that, we can get a pretty decent city street generator going. Can anyone with programming skills come up with rules which look city street-ish?

Here is what I've got so far with messing about and having no idea what I'm doing in terms of L-system rules:

1. Make your L system road network using the generator (image1)
    2. Import into photoshop and make the lines thicker (image 2)
    3. convert to vector and using the big lazy city system, put in your city blocks. (image 3)

And there you have it: Lung City!

This doesn't look bad from a pretty crappy road system to begin with. If some kind programming guy can write a good street file we'll be in business!

Interesting thesis on procedural city generation here (as far as I can understand it) but this guy uses Voronoi rather than L-systems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lsystem.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	24974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	testmap.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	24975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finexport.jpg 
Views:	2163 
Size:	355.6 KB 
ID:	24973