Thread: -»Rhothar«- .:The World:.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Cool, I like to see a world built from the ground up.

"WIP" stands for "Work in Progress"

Your concept of "cold" and "warm" currents is a little off though. It's a relative concept. A "cold" current at the equator is much warmer than a "cold" current closer to the poles.

As the currents move around they adjust toward the ambient temperature. There may be some exceptions, but here's how it works in a nutshell:
    if a current moves a significant distance toward the equator, it's going to be a cold current, since any other source of water is going to be colder.
    Similarly, if a current moves a significant distance away from the equator, it will be a warm current.

Especially around Duratar, the currents don't follow this patterns.

Also, using the most common method of wrapping a sphere with a map, your North pole gets pretty distorted.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Npole.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	24982

Hopefully you are aware of these kind of issues, and have some sort of projection in mind that avoids this problem. I'm not very experience in other projections, and am not sure that any projection can avoid this problem, but i thought you would want to know, if you didn't have something in mind here.

EDIT: i've wanted an easy explanation of how to check for polar distortion before, so i through together a quick tutorial of my method, here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...p-in-the-Round

Please forgive the promotion of my own tutorial, but i haven't found another explanation of how to do this.
    Last edited by jwbjerk; 05-20-2010 at 10:04 PM.