Thread: -»Rhothar«- .:The World:.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by jwbjerk View Post
    Cool, I like to see a world built from the ground up.

"WIP" stands for "Work in Progress"

Your concept of "cold" and "warm" currents is a little off though. It's a relative concept. A "cold" current at the equator is much warmer than a "cold" current closer to the poles.

As the currents move around they adjust toward the ambient temperature. There may be some exceptions, but here's how it works in a nutshell:
    if a current moves a significant distance toward the equator, it's going to be a cold current, since any other source of water is going to be colder.
    Similarly, if a current moves a significant distance away from the equator, it will be a warm current.

Especially around Duratar, the currents don't follow this patterns.

Also, using the most common method of wrapping a sphere with a map, your North pole gets pretty distorted.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Npole.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	24982

Hopefully you are aware of these kind of issues, and have some sort of projection in mind that avoids this problem. I'm not very experience in other projections, and am not sure that any projection can avoid this problem, but i thought you would want to know, if you didn't have something in mind here.

EDIT: i've wanted an easy explanation of how to check for polar distortion before, so i through together a quick tutorial of my method, here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...p-in-the-Round

Please forgive the promotion of my own tutorial, but i haven't found another explanation of how to do this.
    Thanks alot! ^^

Great tutorial. I'll only be able to make use of it next month, though, as I'm too scared to download those just yet as my internet cap of 2 megabites may run dry. I'd love to see Rhothar in a 3D, so mind taking a screen shot of each continent and the poles (the pic you've allready taken + the south pole) for me? Oh, and I preplanned for the pole-distortion. The islands are just alot thinner than I expected... -_- I'll fix that later.

Finally, about the sea currents, mind fixing them for me? You don't have to make them from scratch, I'd just like you to change the arrows to the colours they would most likely be (blue = cold current / red = warm current).

@zhar2: Oh, I see. Well, Sultarin and Oltarin's pics are actually concept art for Avatar. Hutarin's pic is from concept art for Star Wars' "Felucia".

Thanks alot for your responces, guys! ^^

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Rhotherian View Post
    I'd love to see Rhothar in a 3D, so mind taking a screen shot of each continent and the poles (the pic you've allready taken + the south pole) for me? Oh, and I preplanned for the pole-distortion. The islands are just a lot thinner than I expected... -_- I'll fix that later.
    The other related issue is that your base map doesn't have a width to hight ratio of 2 to 1. 2 to 1 is standard for a normal wrapping, and since yours is closer to 3 to 2, it implies your map is supposed to have a different projection, or that you goofed. If i took pictures of the continents they would all be distorted, (compressed toward the equator i think) though less obviously than the picture i showed of your north pole. There's no painless way to fix that-- that i know of. You'll need to make some judgment calls about things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhotherian View Post
    Finally, about the sea currents, mind fixing them for me? You don't have to make them from scratch, I'd just like you to change the arrows to the colours they would most likely be (blue = cold current / red = warm current).
    But what would you learn from that?