Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fractal Mapper

In all seriousness, I'd like to see what FM can do. I feel like I've seen user samples of the best of CC, PS, even some 3D apps...but I can't say I've seen FM. Please do post, Xenmas!

(PS: welcome to the Guild!)
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Wow. I'm feelin' the pressure now

I don't have anything completed in FM8 yet. There are some really nice textures included with the program. I'll post one or two of my FM7 maps tonight, or at the very least a portion of one of them (My world map for Long was never really finished)

Hello, welcome aboard.

I've only found this site in the last couple of months but have found the members to be extremely helpful and constructive with their advice.

I downloaded GIMP for free and have found it extremely easy to pick up and use, especially following the many tutorials here and on other places on the web.

I'd be very interested in seeing more examples of what can be done with other software.

Karl

Question I've got a Fractal World Explorer question...

The export resolutions for the 3D terrain maps can't get any bigger than those provided? And besides, I haven't successfully been able to import the maps or go directly from FWE to FM - FM crashes everytime. Is it the way I loaded it. I'd really like to use the 3D terrains I create in FWE within FM.

Can you help me, Xenmas?

PS: I've only just begun to dabble with FM8 - NBOS gave me a copy at GENCON, just for telling him who I am and what I do!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I think that 2048x2048 is as high of resolution as you can go in FWE. It is a pretty limited program (NBOS does give it away for free when you buy FM). I don't have any trouble exporting them as FM files, but they lose all the texturing when I do.

Default OT: Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Xenmas View Post
    So, I've noticed a lot of posts on Campaign Cartographer. I've seen a few posts about programs I've never heard of before. I personally have been using Fractal Mapper for a few years now. I started with version 7 and have recently upgraded to version 8. I'm not professional by any definition of the word, but I like to make my own maps for my games, and I like them to look nice.

Am I using the wrong program? I've looked at CC2, and can't get my head wrapped around it. I've got Photoshop, but it seems like the wrong program to be using for maps (Not to mention the fact that it is really complicated, and I'm not really a graphic designer).

Anybody here give just generic pointers. I like a lot of the maps I've seen on this site, and would love to be able to contribute the stuff I make for my game. Right now I feel that they are wholly inadequate.

Thanks in advanced
    Heya Xenmas! Glad to see you made it!
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

Hello to all. Sorry to barge into this thread unannounced but I too am a newly fledged Fractal Mapper 8 owner and, having spent a few hours fussing with the program last night, thought I'd Google for some tutorials .

I know my way around CAD and at present am starting to think that I should've gone for CC3 (I already have CC2) as FM drove me insane trying to get it to properly handle an imported background :grr:. My guess is that I've been using the wrong tools to achieve the task of importing an old hand-drawn map and converting to pixelated splendour - hence, tutorial search .

Hi, Sukerkin, and welcome. We have some awesome CC users around here who can help you with the conversion of the old map; if you end up needing help with FM, I'd recommend you still post a "help with FM" thread and see.

Also, if you feel like it, post an intro in our welcome threads! Take care, and glad you found us!
    Don
    My gallery is here

After a couple of days experimenting with FM, I can report that I wish I'd not spent my money on it.

It's more than likely because I'm trying to use it in a way that it's designers did not intend (but they should have included a decent tutorial if they didn't want users to get bent out of shape with their product).

I started what I considered to be slow and easy by trying to adapt a small section of my old campaign map that I still have (a 130 mile wide area) by scanning it in to jpg and loading that as a background with the aim of tracing it out with the freehand tools in FM. What a pain that turned out to be.

I'm starting to make some progress but what I currently have is a line drawn copy of my original that looks horrible i.e. my old 'art' (I use the term loosely) is much superior to the wiggly thread-lines that FM has produced so far.

The text tool is awful and clunky and the way that fractal lines eat up a chord of real-estate (preventing you from selecting what is behind them) is very aggrivating. Yes, you can isolate them with layers but that too is hamfisted. Likewise, you cannot flip or mirror 'map objects' - what's the point of that restriction? The software is tracking (somewhat sloppily at times) thousands of nodes along fractal lines - a few hundred reference points more on an object wouldn't make any difference.

I reckon I'd be far better off in a 'conversion' attempt using AutoCAD and Photoshop rather than this - I suppose that's the difference between a £1500 software app and a £25 one (even if it it supposed to be tailored for the job) .

If I was working from scratch tho', I can see that the FM package would be just fine. Create a bespoke fractal landscape, add objects as and where you need them and off you go.

My apologies if I'm a bit 'rant-o-thon' just now but my time is limited and to waste six hours outlining a very small map section for such poor (worse than free-hand) results is a bit aggrivating.

That stinks, Sukerkin. I know that feeling you have--what a drag. I wish I was knew something about FM to even hint at something you may be missing, but I know absolutely nothing.

What will you do now?
    Don
    My gallery is here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast