Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: June 2010 Entry: Wheel of Time - from Falme to Fal Dara

Guild Journeyer

Pure f*****g awesomeness!!! I can't say more, I just envy you! Great map! If I may say so, I'd like the greens to be more pale...just that!

Blog Entries

I haven't looked at the map in quite some time with the saturation toned down. I'll be sure to try that and submit for everyone's opinion. If you look at the early versions of this map, I'd started out with a b&w theme in mind, but as I brazenly stole more and more from my favorite inspiration (Ramah's Vaniya), I started falling in love with the simple complexity of his color scheme. Of course mine looks clumsy by comparison, but that's what happens when a colorblind mook like me tries to do subtle. Still... I know how to back down the saturation so I'll give it a go and we'll see if it works.

And thanks for your enthusiasm The-Somberlain! We all work for feedback here and positive feedback is tasty tasty motivation.

I don't say it enough but you guys often drive my projects to a much better conclusion than I'd get to alone. There's been so much feedback on this one that it feels like a collaboration. Thank you all for your help and guidance!
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Blog Entries

In this version of the map, the political layers are simply reduced in opacity from 65% to 35%. Thoughts?

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel of Time 3.jpg 
Views:	506 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	26233
    ----------

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    Wow wouldn't that be clear as mud lol. They were pretty dang mobile with just the ways. Imagine how difficult it would be to map the major characters once they starting 'porting hither and yon like a bunch of jet-setters.
    Yep, jet-setter describe it very well *lol*

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    In this version of the map, the political layers are simply reduced in opacity from 65% to 35%. Thoughts?
    I think I like the bright one better - it has a clearer distinction between the countries.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I like the darker one, but the brighter one does give a clearer distinction between the countries (particularly between Amadicia and Ghealdan, which for some reason was very hard to make out on the darker one) and is somewhat clearer.

Should Ankor Dail have a town marker for it? I know we don't know its precise location, but it's definitely in that vicinity, near the mountains and above the river.

Blog Entries

Good feedback and thank you! I didn't really intend to "lighten" the map per se by decreasing the opacity of the political overlays, but in fact, the blight has a definite black tone to it and by reducing the opacity, I quite literally lightened the picture. The Blight is big and it should be dark. It is the shadow, figuratively and literally that seethes over the lands of men, casting darkness into their hearts and minds. So I pulled that layer out of the group and even cranked the opacity up more to make it darker and then messed with the gradient to make it darker still.

I also took a guess at the actual location of Ankor Dail, reasoning that it would most likely be located as near to a navigable river as possible and still perform its function. Thanks for catching that Wert as I'd overlooked it countless times.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel of Time 3.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	26273
    ----------

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So, I'm sitting with my 2˝ year old on the lab as she sees your avatar Imm, "Moon, a blue moon" she says ... then I tell her its a planet but shes busy pointing out other blue things all around *lol*

still looking good, I may have to print this for my soon reading of WoT again
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

...you saw me standing alone, without a dream in my heart...
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Making me feel all were-wolfy Ascension.
    ----------

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast