Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2010 Entry: Wheel of Time - from Falme to Fal Dara

*closes his eyes* your map's getting better and better, hehe, no really, didnt read the comments (thanks for the heads up but the map is looking awesome ! cheers!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep - skipped the comments with SPOILER ALERT also... don't want to ruin anything since I'm almost done with Malazan book 1 and plan to return to WoT thereafter...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Well Werthead has me off on a research binge, paging through the books and reading passages, looking for information to determine what goes where. I've done some major surgery on Sheinar based on the arguments I've read. Again, I'm not a purist, but it's hard to be exposed to knowledge and not act upon it.

I stitched in some small mountains in Altara (the Damona's) as suggested. In truth I've made a lot of small changes, but few of significance visually. I'm just putting this out here basically to let you know I'm still at it.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel of Time 2.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	25766
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Blog Entries

Not sure I made any ground today. I'm getting wrapped around the axle on mountains as I always seem to do and I wound up removing the background color from the trees and recoloring them, then doing some grunging.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	402 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	25798
    ----------

Blog Entries

I believe I've found a technique for creating mountains that I like. Please take a look and let me know if you think they work, and if not, what they need to make them right. The inspiration for the style came from Ramah, but his technique did not work for me, so I tinkered until something did.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	174 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	25811
    ----------

Looks good although I'm not sure I like the coloring on the range running next to Arad Doman. Seems like you have the wrong green on that one.

Oh wait, On looking at your previous map I see that the green is there as well. I guess it must mean something so that's fine then. Just seemed a bit jarring compared to the rest of the mountain ranges you had which matched their areas.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 06-13-2010 at 02:26 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Jax,

I see what you mean, and the challenge is that, in Jordan's world, much of the western subcontinent is unclaimed by any nation. For mountain ranges in particular, unless the nation has arable land completely surrounding the mountains (as Altara does with the Damonas), their writ will end at the mountain's foot. Of course Altara's writ theoretically spans to the far tip of Garen's Wall, but we know from the book that the reality is less ambitious. Ebou Dar has more in common with Mayene in that regard than she does with, say, Tear.

So neither Arad Doman, Tarabon, Andor, Ghealdean or Amadicia "owns" any of the Mountains of Mist. I'm not sure how to model that reality any different than I'm currently doing, but I'm willing to listen.
    ----------

Blog Entries

Too many updates to detail all of them, but political colors have changed, and I've included non-national areas like Haddon Mirk, Tar Valon and the Shadow Coast and environs, and encapsulated the mountains in the process. I've added the Spine of the World, a frame and a compass. The map is starting to gel, hopefully in a good way. Please feel free to call out anything that you don't like.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Wheel of Time 3.jpg 
Views:	1497 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	25857
    ----------

Well, I like this one better. It's a bit more vivid and now those mountains look great imo.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking good - really like the style of those mountains.. they look very.. .stony/concrete
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast