Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2010 Entry: Wheel of Time - from Falme to Fal Dara

Blog Entries

I went all crazy adding stuff today. In addition to the mountains all over the place, I assembled the prophesies and added them to the margins. I also put in some lines for aesthetic. I would like very much to know what you think. It's easy to overdo it when you're this deep in it and can't see the work objectively anymore.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel of Time 3.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	4.55 MB 
ID:	25895
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

I think it is good. It seemed a little on the monochromatic side before which is what you are after I think but it was still missing a little zing or something. I suppose it's a preference type thing though.

My wife was looking for 'Tar Valon' because she thought that would be a cool thing to map. I told her cities were a headache to do.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the prophesies are a bit to much, it doesn't look like the kind of map where you would scribble in the corners, and adding that much text to any map would be a little bit crazy ... that much text should go on a scroll

@jax, yeah.. Tar Valon would be cool to do with all those bridges and such... but huge work if it is to be done properly.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Looking stunning to me. I'm sort of with tilt about the prophesies being too much, but maybe if you made the writing really small you could almost have the writing serve as a way of texturing the sea? (not sure what that would look like)...it's kind of doing that already which I think is pretty cool.

Blog Entries

Wonderful looking map, Immolate. You really do master every style you put your mind to.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks good. There's a contrast between the saturation and values on the border (very strong) and the map. That transition is a little disjointed. The top set of lines on the background Yin Yang are a little off too. I'd either line them up so they come from the middle of the symbol, or make sure they are well out of the way. At the moment it looks a little like you intended them to go in the middle but missed.

Love the fonts and the banner images for the important names. Great job!

Looking very good indeed. One thing I noticed in earlier maps that vanished and has since returned is the River Taren flowing out of Lake Somal, which isn't the case (although some of the shoddier book maps make it look like that). Lake Somal appears to be separated fully from the Two Rivers by the mountains, with the Taren originating in the mountains above the Two Rivers and flowing down via the waterfall of Eldrene's Veil. Also, I'd be tempted to make the Aiel Waste a more desert-like colour, as having it green looks a bit odd given it's a massive area of plains with a proper desert, the Termool, in the far south.

Otherwise, looks pretty good!

It's looking fabulous. I'm with the others on the prophecies. Maybe in addition to making the text smaller, the opacity could be lowered, making for a more subtle effect.

Now give us the city markers! It's driving me nuts not to have them on there, since that's usually one of the first things I lay down.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Hey all, I'm listening. I've just been crazy-busy this week with little time to work on the map. We've been having significant network challenges with our Costa Rica call center. I found time to make some updates today however, at the cost of the homework I've been putting off. Goodness.

Lots of city markers added. Long/Lat lines substituted for the radials. Fixed the Taren wandering problem as pointed out by Werthead. This is a danger of having a landmass template... it remembers the old rivers after you move them around.

Thanks so much for the commentary. You guys have truely made a huge difference on this map, which is appropriate, it being a subject of importance to many.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel of Time 3.jpg 
Views:	12248 
Size:	4.34 MB 
ID:	25986
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice ... love those capital symbols, they look really cool
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast