Thread: Who plays Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition in here?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I wasn't going to labor this thread to much with posts but to date I have had a hard time qualifying why I don't like 4e rules as much as previous ones and I came across the following link with a very detailed description why this guy doesn't like them and I think this has nailed it for me too. When one guy in our group was down with low HP we post to the narrative thread and the battle had ended and he said that "my character will be sucking wind all the while.." and I thought that was pretty odd but I could not think of what this wind is all about either. I don't like these non magical daily powers either and the following link does touch on that too. Anyway I think this guy has done some good clear thinking on the subject so would be interested in comments. This explains for me why I don't think 4e rules are good for the role playing side of D&D and why its not just about you and the DM not doing enough narrative or descriptions.

http://www.thealexandrian.net/creati...mechanics.html

I suppose what this blog has done for me personally is quantify and make concrete the exact gripes I've had with the system. I keep on rabbitting on about how it has "destroyed the storytelling game" or "destroyed the role" part of the game... In truth, The Alexandrian is probably right - they got divorced and WotC is taking the Alimony via the Minis.

Might be time to start getting into those White-Wolf games... or just finish off that system I've been building... or both.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store