Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
The problem is the haphazard placement of the mountains. Yours seem to be like islands popping up here n there instead of being formed by geological process and tectonics...ie they are mountain chains not mountain archipelagos. Here's a quick sketch I did; black is where I would expect a mountain chain and supporting foothills and red is the rivers based on your current mountains (they are only half done but they give you an idea).
Thanks for the sketch--it was a great help, as now I see how the rivers should work.

Now, regarding my mountains, I do have a question: would such placement be unfeasible? I really want to have a nice diversity of terrains in my map (including desert, that's why I've enclosed it on a mountain/hill circle, as that was the only way I've found to really have it on the map). The large chain you've sketched seems natural (a lot more than my 'popped mountains'), but I don't see it as an evironmental challenge to be explored. The main utility of this map should be as a setting to wilderness exploration, and I'd be willing to sacrifice some (not all) of the real placement in order to see an interesting place to be explored.