Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Omaha City

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

pictures don't work here...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    pictures don't work here...
    Try using the direct links:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...6&d=1275515349
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...7&d=1275515818

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ahh.. you've uploaded them as bmp's - thats why. For future reference, bmp's don't show directly in the browser, so a better (and smaller) format would be jpg - that way people can see your maps without having to download them first

Pretty cool maps though, lots of work in those
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Novice

If you think that is amazing... The map is actually like at least 12-15 times biggger than that downtown picture. :b

Guild Novice

There you GO!!! I posted it in the first thread post!!! Haha!

Fudge cakes it is big.

Guild Novice

I'm wondering if people can view the big picture I posted?

Yes, I can view it. As mentioned earlier, you'll get much better results if you save to a compressed file format. For images like these, png would be best. Failing that, gif. Both of those are lossless, unlike jpeg, which means that you lose no quality. Bitmap is pretty much the most inefficient form of image storage there is (that's still in use, at any rate). I've compressed your image with png-24 and attached it to this message. The original file is 3.7 MB. The compressed version is only 158 kB, 23 times smaller.

I'm not sure which version of Paint you're using, but mine can save to png, and I'm fairly sure that all of them going back to at least Win98 can save to gif.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Omaha-&-Council-Bluffs-GO-Train-Map.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	26994  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

Ok I will try and do that tonight!

Hmmm, this isn't the Omaha-Council Bluffs of Nebraska/Iowa that I know and live in. Care to elaborate more?

Normally I just lurk, but as this is my hometown it is of particular interest.

Edited because I reread it and thought I sounded disrespectful: It's a nice pair of maps, it just doesn't appear to correspond to any of the existing geography within the city.
    Last edited by himmelhand; 07-14-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Guild Novice

Hahahaha... I knew someone would pipe in from omaha.

Since you live there you deserve an explanation of why it is nothing like the city.

Well you see I started a very small map with a entirely fictional layout and geography, and overtime expanded the edges of the city. It turned into this. When I started out I was not "recreating" any city or real existence. I was purely creating a city of imagination. I decided to name it and label it a city I knew nothing about. Hahaha

I purely only used the name of omaha and council bluffs because I thought the names fit well with the look of the city.

Also the river going north-south was similar (in direction) as that of the Missouri river(i think?) but not similarin shape... I will agree.

As for being "disrespectful". I must first say I did this ou of my own image of a city, although it has a distinctively European feel to the center and Midwest feel on the outskirts. I think personally that my "recreation" of a city is more fuctional than really any US city. It's transportation system goes everywhere. It would be entirely practical. As for schools, hospitals, fire dept, and police stations they are sort of randomly placed(but very similar in location to my hometown of Ottawa.

Anyway I will be making a legend for the map in the coming days so people can better understand the map.

For now,

Yellow lines- major collector roads
    White- arterial roads and streets
    Blue- freeways
    Orange- city owned parkways
    Black lines- rail(both commuter and freight)
    Purple- bus transitway's

Pink developed area
    Green- park
    Lighter green golf course

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast